UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Once upon a time in Finland

Old 11-16-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Once upon a time in Finland

I think it’s time to greet UK forum. We bought an S2000 from UK in June and drove it all the way to Finland. I want to thank forum member barefoot for his hospitality and all the help. I had problems registering the car in Finland, but finally succeeded to get approval papers for JDM car from TÜV Germany. We enjoyed driving top down all the extra hot summer. We did 6000 miles in four months.

Then the worst happened. I was taking my S2000 to winter storage six weeks ago. My best friend was driving and he started overtaking car in front of us. We didn’t see the car coming on straight road near towards us and he had to cancel overtaking when almost side by side the car. The car in front of us braked and my friend had to brake hard. He made too sharp steering maneuver while braking to avoid head-on collision and return to our lane. Braking ‘lightened’ the rear of the car and sharp steering caused oversteer at speed of 62 mph. We went to a ditch and slid there sideways about 20 metres. Then we hit something and the car started rolling. After 4 to 5 rolls we finally ended up roof down on the ground. My friend was unconscious for few seconds and finally reacted when I shouted him to turn off ignition. We survived and had not bones broken, just bruises and scratches. My car got totally scrapped (cat C write-off). Luckily we didn’t drive top-down at that day…

I’m so sad at the moment. I’m never going to find a car like ‘Nob’ . We both (me and my fiancée) loved it. We drove it every day of the summer top down. We washed and waxed ‘Nob’ the night before taking it to winter storage. I’ll definitely buy another S2000 hopefully before summer. Maybe we will get our replacement for ‘Nob’ from UK. My partner said that she really wants RHD S2000. That said, I want to buy an S2000. I hate boring colours on fun cars. Blue, red and orange slightly modified cars are considered. I already have grey Civic .
Old 11-16-2010, 01:31 PM

Gutted for you both. Car's can be replaced (I know it was a major task to get this one, but...) the main thing is that both of you walked away. I bet you'll think twice before letting someone else drive your car in the future
Old 11-16-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you are okay and were unhurt, what a shame about the car .

By the way, do you know what 'nob' stands for/is a slang word for?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:36 PM

OFC I know
Old 11-16-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just checking.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K3Nguru - I remember when you bought this off barefoot. You were SO pleased!! Evidently so; 6000 miles in 4 months is impressive!

Sorry to read about what happened The main thing is nobody was seriously hurt, quite amazing too, considering the pictures and the fact that you rolled the car!

Good luck in your new search .
Old 11-16-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I'll be the first ..... that's no going to polish out!

Sad to see but glad to see it did its job and protected you as well as giving you 6000 miles of fun
Old 11-16-2010, 11:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crikey!

Glad you were both okay.

I'm sorry for your loss but I'm also reassured that the car (especially the windscreen) stood up to being rolled several times and didn't completely collapse.

I thought the 'NOB' was in reference to your friend driving, then I saw the numberplate!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I be the first to say, what a NOB for letting your mate drive
Old 11-16-2010, 11:58 PM

I had to let friend of mine drive as I got driving ban in September. I accelerated a bit too hard in wrong place . I had to get my car to winter storage. You can call me insane, but my winter storage was 250 miles away. Yeah, I know I'm mad. Getting a car from 2100 miles away...

I know, I'm lucky to be alive. I'm very convinced about the strength of S2000's. Doors opened easily after the accident and I got out with no problem. The cabin looked like new except the windscreen, roof and passenger's door panel. The first hit on passenger's side was quite hard as we flew at least 10 metres before touching the ground first time on the roll.

Well spotted cheggers.

Quick Reply: Once upon a time in Finland