UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Out with the old and in with the new!

Old 01-19-2014, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone - swapped over on Friday and drove for about an hour out to a country pub in the Chilterns. First impressions (which might be all in the mind!)

-Generally quieter and more civilised, presumably because it's a newer car. Still pulls hard away from roundabouts though!

-Seems to be a very slight delay/judder when coming back on to the throttle - is that just the DBW throttle? I'm sure I'll get used to it.

-Ride feels a bit softer and certainly details with bumpy bits of road a lot better - again might just be because all the bits of suspension are newer. Maybe slightly less direct for throwing in to the corners but very marginal and if I'd come from anything other than another S2000 I wouldn't have noticed.

So far pretty pleased with the switch - think we're going out for a spin later so will try to get some pics.

Got some green lights along the bit of the A4 underneath the M4 coming in to Chiswick so gave the last one a great send off with a final bit of vtec-ing!
Old 01-19-2014, 03:27 AM

Yeah that delay/strange feeling will be the DBW I found the exact same thing
Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
Yeah that delay/strange feeling will be the DBW I found the exact same thing
Arg not getting on well with this at all! Had a good drive but every time you go carefully back on the throttle you get a jolt. Totally ruins the feel of the car! What on earth were Honda thinking? How could this be a better option than a piece of cable between the throttle and the engine?!

Not happy!!
Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe cleaning the throttle body could help, there might be a bit of a edge of dirt which stops the butterfly from opening smoothly
Old 01-19-2014, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by TMs2ki
Arg not getting on well with this at all! Had a good drive but every time you go carefully back on the throttle you get a jolt. Totally ruins the feel of the car! What on earth were Honda thinking? How could this be a better option than a piece of cable between the throttle and the engine?!

Not happy!!
They added it for the n00bs who need traction control IIRC
Old 01-19-2014, 08:21 AM

Thanks WinFreak - might be worth a look!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:24 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
Originally Posted by TMs2ki' timestamp='1390149378' post='22972842

Not happy!!
They added it for the n00bs who need traction control IIRC
I think you'll find there's a problem not related to the DBW, either mechanically or something to do with your right foot. I get no jolt going back onto throttle either granny driving or having "fun"

As for it "nOObs" needing traction control, the S has never had traction control just optional vehicle stability assist, DBW has a faster response than the old fashioned wire string.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:28 AM

I don't get how a computer taking a reading of where your foot is, thinking about it then sending a signal can be quicker than having a wire.

Given I've gone from one old but perfectly working S straight to this I'm guessing it isn't my technique that's the issue, so maybe it needs to go back to Chiswick Honda!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:07 AM

Well mine was the same Richard on the MY07 I had after going from an MY04 - and since now having the MY05 it doesn't have the same response the DBW one did... It's back to how you'd expect it to respond. So not sure it has a problem - M3 is DBW and doesn't do it, however.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:16 AM

A quick Google suggests Civics of the same time have the same problem too...no idea why Honda decided they would make the car worse, should have just saved the $ to make the engine Euro-V compliant!

Quick Reply: Out with the old and in with the new!