UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

please help - URGENT!

Old 01-05-2006, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help - URGENT!

I have a 00 model s2000 that's done 63k and was last serviced at honda dealership 4 months ago, where oil change was carried out.

Checked my oil about 3 weeks ago and have done a few hundred miles since then. it was ok and cos is due a service in 300 miles i thought i'd wait for oil change at service and continue using.

the other day started making a noise, like a clattering sound. Took it into garage and they said lots of things wrong - new cylinder head and various other bits and bobs - total price
Old 01-05-2006, 12:36 AM

Received 628 Likes on 548 Posts

you could get the car inspected by an independent party?

you say it was ok 3 weeks ago, a long time after the service but then after another few hundred miles it was low? when you say OK what exactly do you mean? Had you been topping it up since the service?

i doubt there's any recourse and if I were you I'd source an engine from a totalled car, you should pick one up for less than
Old 01-05-2006, 12:48 AM

Another one ??

These engines really need oil checking as stated in the manual at every fill up, if on any insurance policy there is a way out of a payout then they will take it. You will probably be able to get parts at cost price from Honda and maybe a deal on labour, however as a few of us have already found out the engine out of a scrapper is usually cheaper.

Make sure you get the best engine for your money though, as low mileage as possible, hopefully the engine will still be in a car when you look at it, make sure it runs (don't forget the inertia switch), try and verify the mileage (a lot of speedo clusters are sold before the engine but try and judge from the seller, age of car, usual signs of wear and tear etc)

As an example, when there were few cars in scrap yards I managed to pick up a 1 year old 7000 mile engine for
Old 01-05-2006, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2,Jan 5 2006, 09:36 AM
you could get the car inspected by an independent party?

Other than that, I'd say you're b0rked.

Oil needs to be checked regularly, same as tyre pressures.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by jonners79,Jan 5 2006, 09:27 AM
had extended Honda Care Guarantee but dealership wouldnt even try and make the claim saying i had let it run very low on oil..
That is not for the dealership to decide though !!
Old 01-05-2006, 01:28 AM

Quite right Simon, Honda actually re-issued a Service Bulletin not so long ago as a reminder that oil levels on performance engines such as S2000 and Type R need to be checked at each fuel fill up.

As a dealer we would always be willing to put a claim in but that also delays the repair when we know what the end result would be.

If the oil is low VTEC will not work anyway - I assume this was the case.

Best thing is to get an engine from the Scrappy as Simon said, Hondacare will send an engineer for an inspection and it would be plain to see what has happened.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:32 AM

Davey,

Someone else mentioned that dealers are often willing to offer parts at cost and also do deals on labour. if I can get that
Old 01-05-2006, 01:35 AM

Not sure about parts at cost as dealers are not charities but if you go down the replacement engine route and you are supplying the engine yourself, best get a quote for the labour plus a service inc. plugs on the replacement engine.
No Service Manager will turn down a job like that, it takes somewhere about 10 hours and you will need other parts as well inc. subframe bolts so ask and try to deal and see if they give a forum discount.

Maybe Simon might know of any engines available.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:15 AM

i emailed engineshop.co.uk and told them what the garage had told me which was a quote for:

- New Cylinder Head
- 2 New Camshafts
- Cylinder Head Gasket Set
- Set of Big Ends and Main Bearings
- Thrust Washers
- Bolts & Sealing Washers

They said they could pick up the car from the Honda garage, take it back to their garage, fix it and return it for
Old 01-05-2006, 02:15 AM

A couple on ebay at the moment, but as said I would not install an engine in a car that I have not seen running, 10 hours labour to fit and find it's not working is a lot of money to waste.

Quick Reply: please help - URGENT!