UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Potential S2000 on Ebay! :D

Old 10-10-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential S2000 on Ebay! :D

Found a really nice looking S2000 but its an ebay jobby which i've never done before so i'm just looking for some advice on how to go about purchasing a car from a private seller on ebay to ensure i dont get ripped off etc. Item listing number etc listed below to find it as i cant link from work.

####
Listing Title: HONDA S2000 GT 2007 47K NEW FORMULA RED STUNNING CONDITION AND WORKING ORDER
Ebay Item Number: 191359848056 (sorry cannot provide a link as im at work, cant get to ebays site)
Item Locaiton: Sunderland
Honda S2000 2007 GT New Formula Red 47K
####

So what are peoples opinions about buying cars on eBay - Any advice would be greatly appreaciated as i really really really really want my god damn S2000 and my collegue has one and i'm jealous every day at work

LINK http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-S200...item2c8def8e78
Old 10-10-2014, 08:28 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Not enough information, post the listing number. I got mine on eBay and I'm happy, but you must look at the car in the flesh first.

Also they don't go that quick (or at all) do an advanced search for completed listings.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:32 AM

Yeah i will update it when i can borrow someones phone at work to look at it to get the info.

So what was your process for buying? What steps did you take in purchasing to make sure the car was in acceptable working order?

Well i've been looking for about 2-3 months now and every time i see one it goes within a week Makes it hard as hell to keep on top of looking without a phone too!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Saw that one come on a few days ago - Seems like they are a sympathtic owner and I though it looked very clean and well priced (well, there is some built in negotiation room ) If you are serious I'd go and see it, as on eBay you get all sorts of muppets trying to buy for silly money without even looking at it in person. I wouldn't sell a car to someone who hadn't at least come to look at it !

Take the buying guide with you and ask the important questions like "has the geo been sorted?"
Old 10-10-2014, 12:59 PM

Definitely seems well looked after and it sounds like he uses it as a weekend car as he mentioned its usually garaged. Oh yeah for sure i have to go see it i would never just buy something like that without fully investigating it, But it does look a definiate potential!

Yeah i plan on printing out everything and doing a checklist making sure the majority of the boxes are ticked and i'll be happy! Might hire a mechanic to come with me and take a real good look at the car.

Also im lucky in the fact that one of my collegues has owned S2000's since they came out so he knows his stuff which always helps!

Urghh the geo, thats the only thing that scares me really coz the bill is so big if it needs sorting
Old 10-10-2014, 04:14 PM

I've bought beaters on eBay and been happy both times. But when you start getting into cars like the S2000 you'd inspect it like you would any other car.

Also I believe under the eBay terms and conditions it's not a solid contract to buy. You can bid, inspect it and walk away if it's not satisfactory.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not an eBay specific rule, that's a contractual understanding for all purchases. You buy on the basis of a description. If the item doesn't (reasonably, which widens things) meet the description then the contract ends.

An extreme example, you buy an excellent quality lamp and it's a banana. A lesser example, you buy an excellent quality lamp and it's not excellent quality. But it is a lamp.

EBay is based on historic English rules of contract, not the other way around.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
That's not an eBay specific rule, that's a contractual understanding for all purchases. You buy on the basis of a description. If the item doesn't (reasonably, which widens things) meet the description then the contract ends.

An extreme example, you buy an excellent quality lamp and it's a banana. A lesser example, you buy an excellent quality lamp and it's not excellent quality. But it is a lamp.

EBay's car sales rules are different than other goods though. The description could be absolutely accurate, you could inspect before bidding, bid and win then say no I don't want it and you aren't subject to the same eBay terms and conditions as with other goods.

Make selling cars on eBay a very frustrating experience.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipGB
Originally Posted by cheshire_carper' timestamp='1412996039' post='23365363

EBay's car sales rules are different than other goods though. The description could be absolutely accurate, you could inspect before bidding, bid and win then say no I don't want it and you aren't subject to the same eBay terms and conditions as with other goods.

Make selling cars on eBay a very frustrating experience.

The point I make is based on English law (ie issues of representation) which eBay is compelled to comply with, hence my final comment re rules of contract.

Agree that the great unwashed on ebay will struggle with some of the simpler points of 'agreements' - shyster city in the wild west that place is
Old 10-10-2014, 10:37 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Trikz
Urghh the geo, thats the only thing that scares me really coz the bill is so big if it needs sorting
You need to accept that these are not the cheapest cars to run 30 to the gallon on super unleaded, and on that car £485 a year road tax (about 1/2 - 1/3 of the cost of sorting the bushes if they are seized). Insurance very high unless you tick all the boxes.

You have to think of the whole package, can you afford it?.

As for the car, looks neat and tidy, go look at it with a knowledgeable mate and take your chance.

eBay have a help page on buying/selling cars with check lists forms etc. Also you will need to do a car check, one with insurance helps.

Quick Reply: Potential S2000 on Ebay! :D