UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Power washers

Old 10-22-2001, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power washers

(Shock horror a serious post.... )

After seeing my laquer being scratched on the Impreza thanks to the building site that appears to be at the bottom of my street I've invested in a power washer!

Got a nice little Karcher unit from Costco for about
Old 10-22-2001, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by awinskill
[B](Shock horror a serious post.... )

After seeing my laquer being scratched on the Impreza thanks to the building site that appears to be at the bottom of my street I've invested in a power washer!

Got a nice little Karcher unit from Costco for about
Old 10-22-2001, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by bmarshall

Finally remember not to go near AnDy_Pandy's S2000 with your new power washer. Remember he likes it a bit dirty

-Brian.

LOL

Are these power washer things good for the paintwork.
I have heard conflicting stories.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:58 AM

The washers got this "power wand" thingy. It basically is a rapidly rotating needle of water which prescribes a cone of water. It's awesome home much grime it gets off.

I would NEVER use this near the roof!

There is a high and low pressure jet. The low pressure jet should be OK on the roof and the seals.

My intent is to use the power washer to get rid of the crud buildup on the car and still use a bucket and sponge as per usual. I'm convinced the hairline scratches on the Impreza are due to the amount of mud that the cars are getting covered in
Old 10-22-2001, 11:37 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by awinskill
[B]The washers got this "power wand" thingy. It basically is a rapidly rotating needle of water which prescribes a cone of water. It's awesome home much grime it gets off.
Old 10-22-2001, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using a 1200 psi power washer for 11 years with no problem

Except once... When I first purchased the washer, I "focussed" the jet to a pencil thin jet to try and remove a black mark from the air dam on my silver SAAB 900 Carlsson. I couldn't understand why the more I tried to get the black mark off, the bigger it got.

Moral - they're great if used sensibly. Use the fan spray setting to remove all loose dirt from the body. Use on the wheels and under the arches. Use to wash off the "shampoo". Don't use a pencil thin spray and don't spray around the hood and the windows.
Old 10-22-2001, 02:51 PM

Where's the nearest Costco's to Tamworth or the Midlands.... I keep hearing about Costco's but never seen one.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by N-a-$-t-Y
Where's the nearest Costco's to Tamworth or the Midlands.... I keep hearing about Costco's but never seen one.

Ditto
Old 10-23-2001, 12:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are very divergent views on using power washers to clean cars (several threads on the subject in wash and wax). Basically the absolute (anal) perfectionists hate them with a vengance. I tend to agree with Andy (Winskill) - used sensibly (ie, wide spray - not needle jet!- and kept at least a couple of feet from the car surface they are great. I used one weekly on my Prelude. It was 6 years old when I sold it and the paintwork looked like new (baring stone chips, but the power washer can't be blamed for those!)

Power washers are also great for cleaning inside the wheel arches, driveways and patios (as previously noted) and garden furniture.

No, I do not work for Karcher!
Old 10-23-2001, 12:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY

Ditto
There is one about 30 minutes drive from Central Tokyo....

Guess that's not too much help for you though is it???

Quick Reply: Power washers