UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Prospective buyer, what can I expect?

Old 04-30-2005, 01:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never had a test drive. The kids bought me the number plates so I just had to buy the lump of metal to fit between them! Haven't regretted it though!
Old 04-30-2005, 02:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you can expect...

Lots of fun

Taking the long route to where ever your going
Laughing at other cars with their roofs up when its sunny
Good comments from total strangers

but on the down side

Parking miles away from other cars in car parks
Obsessive amounts of washing/waxing/polishing
Getting at the dealers
Old 04-30-2005, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never buy the same car twice.........That was until I got the S

Top value for money
Old 04-30-2005, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by chilled,Apr 29 2005, 09:07 PM
I tested all the usual suspects too (350Z, RX8 230, Z4 3.0i, Boxster S). The S2000 at the time was kind of an also ran, sort of I should check this out as it's the sort of thing I'm looking at.

I had about an hours test drive. The dealer THANKED me for the test drive. I still can't get over that, probably something to do with him being scared sh!tless by the person who test drove it just before me. It wailed like a banshee over 6000rpm, felt solid. "Driver focused" is still the best way to describe the cockpit. And I didn't find the rear snappy at all, I had the tail out on the test drive many times (it was dry!!!!) and just thought the overall package was the best.

As a postscript, I'm much more wary of the backend now but not for any discernible reason. I find it really hard to break the backend loose in the dry. But I do love the way the car snakes down the road in VTEC in the wet.

by the sound of it he thanked you for not killing him during a power slide..... did he do the whole ''spectacles testicles wallet and watch'' thing as he left the car
Old 04-30-2005, 08:47 AM

I have just come back from about 4 hours of driving. Went to Windsor and then back home and when I got hopme I though fcuk it and went off for another blast after dropping my wife off! That is what this car does to you, beware.

Spotted two more S's today both with their hoods up.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:53 AM

Had my S for just over 2 weeks and the stupid grin on my face just keeps getting wider and wider.

First impressions are / were : what a beautiful looking car, don't see many around (bonus), superbly put together, great gear shift, what a beautiful looking car, superb to drive (feels solid etc), sounds superb, what a beautiful looking car, very easy to drive at low speed, above vtech (bloody hell I want more !!!!!!!), aren't all the other convertibles ugly compared to the S, I love this car oh and yes what a beautiful looking car !!!!!!!

Followed by a wallet defining (emptying) moment when I knew I just had to have one !!!!

Welcome and Good Luck.

Can honestly say the more I drive it the happier I am with it !!! Drove back from Godalming to Southampton this afternoon with the roof down and enjoyed very second.

Ok I'll stop now but I could go on !
Old 04-30-2005, 10:50 AM

I'd had my heart set on an Elise back in the UK as I had a company beater but plans changed and I came over to Dubai.

Had seen S2000s about and always wondered what they'd be like although the lack of low down punch had put me off a bit.

Anyway, can't officially get Elises out here (wouldn't import one as no one can service them) so when it came to getting a second car I looked at the S. Mainly as there is one in my apartment car park and always hung around longer than i should admiring it. Had a chat with the owner who said it was the best car he'd ever owned.

Booked a test drive, , booked a test drive of a Boxster S, bleugh, and handed over the money.

What I love about the car?

The exclusivity, it looks awesome, can pootle around the city or can be thrashed to within a inch of its crankshaft and it just asks for more. Special mention for the brakes. Probably only 2nd to the Elise in the braking department and I've driven a few cars. Tons of feel, very linear and powerful. Shame the steering isn't in the same league.

Superb engine, handling is perfect for me, I love the balance and preciseness of the package. Very important here - the AC is very strong.

Even the stereo is fine for me. When I'm in traffic it's plenty loud enough, when I'm not - I turn it off and listen to the car .

My only concerns are other idiots dinging it all the time. Most car drivers here are the worst of all worlds - Arrogant, ignorant and selfish. Also getting decent tyres.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:57 AM

I too thought about an Elise, but the Honda reiability won me over.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Asterix,Apr 30 2005, 06:50 PM
My only concerns are other idiots dinging it all the time. Most car drivers here are the worst of all worlds - Arrogant, ignorant and selfish. Also getting decent tyres.
Same everywhere i'm afraid.

I parked in an empty car park the other day and when i came back some twat in an MR2 had parked right next to me! Just enough room to open the feckin door
Old 04-30-2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by rahula,Apr 30 2005, 08:47 AM
I have just come back from about 4 hours of driving. Went to Windsor and then back home and when I got hopme I though fcuk it and went off for another blast after dropping my wife off! That is what this car does to you, beware.

Spotted two more S's today both with their hoods up.
Similar thing just happened to me, I just got home right now...I was a few turns away from my house after an 1 and a half hour drive back, but I decided to keep on driving for another hour and go for a blast on some quiet roads! - brilliant fun to drive.