UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

PX deal advice wanted

Old 12-30-2006, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PX deal advice wanted

Hey

Firstly, a very Happy New Year to you all!

Ok, my S is coming up to 3 yrs old in a few months (May) and I'm starting to think about what to do i.e. keep it, get another one or get something different.

Since buying the S I've changed job location and have to now endure a 40 minute crawl along the ring road twice a day and I must admit I've started to get a bit tired of the S in that sort of situation what with kangerooing when its hot and not much fun in the winter either with the top up. Or maybe I'm just getting old...

Anyway, the only thing that "floats my boat", that's not a step backwards performance wise, and within my intended budget is the SLK 280 (or just maybe the 350!).

Had a trip out to a MB dealer in Derby this morning and talked some rough figures (I popped in the Nottm MB dealership yesterday - nobody available to help me and the guy on reception didnt even know which brochure I needed, so I walked out...).

For a new SLK280 with metallic paint, 7-speed auto, plus a few key 'optional extras' (i.e. 17in alloys, glass wind deflector, leather seats - ya know - all the stuff that comes as standard on an S!!!) you're looking at just over
Old 12-30-2006, 08:17 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Hi Mark
i'll give you 14.05k for it
i think you should sell it to me.
the S is crap, get that nice merc.

you need to play off 2 dealers against eachother and let them know you're doing it.

pain to sell at the minute
Old 12-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

tell him you want to accept his
Old 12-30-2006, 01:08 PM

Have you tried looking at http://www.drivethedeal.com ? I usually pop on there to get an idea of the cheapest price a new car is being offered at

It's not foolproof and may miss a specific offer at a particular dealer but all the prices are for UK cars from a franchised UK dealership i.e. no imports. I would see if the spec you want comes in at a significantly better price and then use that improved price to beat up the local dealership...

Andy
Old 12-30-2006, 03:55 PM

Old 12-31-2006, 12:37 AM

Your car is definitely worth more than
Old 12-31-2006, 12:51 AM

Jason:

gaddafi:

Stoat: Interesting. I'll have a look....

Sarren: Yeah - the sheer joy of buying a new car is always tainted by the feeling that you've just been mugged (imho!). Ok - they're a business - but they must make enough on the sale of the new car without needing to take the p*ss on the PX deal....

Q. What % of the average private sale (or forecourt) value would you expect a dealer to go up to, being realistic?

Old 12-31-2006, 01:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mark laughton,Dec 31 2006, 09:51 AM

Q. What % of the average private sale (or forecourt) value would you expect a dealer to go up to, being realistic?
it's easier to consider that a dealer will usually want to make a minimum
Old 12-31-2006, 01:01 AM

Thanks M3. Its more a slow sale I want - there's an up to 4 month wait for the SLK

Maybe I should just order one now, pay cash (I have that option), then just sell the S privately (even at a reduced 'quick sale' price) when the Merc arrives...

Old 12-31-2006, 01:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mark laughton,Dec 31 2006, 10:01 AM

Maybe I should just order one now, pay cash (I have that option), then just sell the S privately (even at a reduced 'quick sale' price) when the Merc arrives...
sounds like it

the only reason for part exing to a dealer is convenience

if your proposed action doesn't inconvenience you, then it makes sense

Quick Reply: PX deal advice wanted