UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Question

Old 08-29-2001, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

S2000 (as u can see I shall be applying to join Cedric's club - probably without success) has little storage space. Question: for how long have you managed to persuade your wife/partner to go away on a trip? Or do you buy her new outfits as you go and discard?
Old 08-29-2001, 10:09 AM
tnt

Hi Mikerich,

Interesting you should ask this question because my wife and I are departing on a 17 day holiday around Europe and we are:
a) taking our hood cover with us
b) not going to have to do any washing or ironing
c) going to be able to bring some wine back with us.

Key to achieving this was the following:
a) Maps under the passenger seat
b) Put tools, bulbs, warning triangle, first aid kit etc in with the spare wheel.
c) Remove the lid and polystyrene tool holder from the boot well
d) Use soft bags that have have some give in them.
e) Our height Since neither of us are over 5'6" we have found we can fold the hood cover in three and place it behind the passenger seat. (You can fold it in two but it does obscure the view through the rear view mirror). It does make it more difficult to get in and out of the car but as we intend to do most of our driving with the top down and the hood cover on it shouldn't be a problem. Being small there is still loads of room in the foot well. We'll probably put the hood in an old quilt cover to stop it scratching the plastic surfaces.

Why do you ask? Are you thinking of a long trip somewhere?

I'll let you know how we get on.
Old 08-29-2001, 11:45 AM

Last year I went to greece with my GF, without the boot cover, top down all the way, without a problem (and she had lots of shoes )

we had in the trunk :
- skateboard
- professional photo equipement (hasselblad camera with 2 lenses, big tripod)
- all our luggage

behind the seats :
- duvets
- road maps

under the seats :
CD cases

I even went snowboarding once with my snowboard (161cm) in the passenger area, and sometimes (when I had a passenger) sticking it in the trunk, with the nose popping out, holding the trunk with a kind of rope (dunno the name in english, looks like a belt)
Old 08-29-2001, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Le Car:

next time you go away you can leave the 'blad with me if you want to save some space
Old 08-29-2001, 12:04 PM

Thx for that - as you can see - still an enthusiast - trips are only down to Provence - our family land - but wife seems to take kitchen sink - I used to travel world with a ' carryon' - looking for the arguments - thanks people
Old 08-29-2001, 01:56 PM

I'd need to tow a bl--dy caravan, and that's just for her 'essential' make up, bottles of this and that, hair drier 'n all.

Absolutely no chance....travelling light means one pair of shoes less, as for just a soft grip...do they make them that large

Trouble is......I love her....... so we compromise, in her favour of course, and she's so logical about it
Old 08-29-2001, 02:09 PM
tnt

Originally posted by mikerich
looking for the arguments
Just tell her it's a very small boot and just hope she never sees this thread.
Old 08-29-2001, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by mikerich
Thx for that - as you can see - still an enthusiast - trips are only down to Provence - our family land - but wife seems to take kitchen sink - I used to travel world with a ' carryon' - looking for the arguments - thanks people
My Samsonite flight bag fits snuggly flat into the well in the boot.....

Alternatively the mid size Samsonite sits on it's edge in the well. Soft bags packed round it.

Personally the best luggage I've found are Sainsbury's plastic bags. You can get an amazing density of luggage in the boot then. The only problem is you'll probably not be allowed to check in at the hotel!
Old 08-29-2001, 03:02 PM
tnt

Think of the ironing
Old 08-29-2001, 03:42 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

We got a couple of Weekender bags off QVC in the anticipation of getting the car. They're brilliant & fir a treat. You can squash the boot cover in, if they're not too full.

Top Tip: Fold all your clothes really neatly, all the ironing will be done by the bloody big cans under the boot floor!

Do not put cosmetics such as lipstick in the boot (see above).

My warning triangle is in a rectangular plastic case. It is clearly designed to fit into the recess in the rear wall of the boot floor, and is secured by those spare straps. Likewise, a German issue First Aid Kit fits into the empty square under the boot floor.

Devilishly cunning....

Quick Reply: Question