UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

RAC. total nightmare.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh come on ...how many of you ..its not an ap2 ........ keyboard warriors.... would change a caliper without extra brake fluid
give him a break ......we have all tried it on at some point
Old 05-11-2014, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know what, I'm glad that a few others have confirmed my suspicions. I'd usually just front up and say it out loud with little hesitation (as I'm sure a few will confirm), but opted for the diplomatic route and provided advice as to how it would have been possible to UxE the caliper.

The RAC man was probably hacked off having been called to assist beyond the remit of what many would call a breakdown. Whilst treating wheel nuts with contempt isn't the biggest crime of the century, I wouldn't like it either...but then I wouldn't call the RAC out for a stuck caliper.

I think the expectations of the OP were inflated, and when confronted with what can only be described as 'wheel nut/brake fluid gate', was further aggrieved and posted his discontent.

...and to Mr Twibs - you know what, you are right...to a degree. We have all probably tried it on in one form or other in the past, but not all of is would whinge about it when it doesn't work out as hoped.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loftust
You know what, I'm glad that a few others have confirmed my suspicions. I'd usually just front up and say it out loud with little hesitation (as I'm sure a few will confirm), but opted for the diplomatic route and provided advice as to how it would have been possible to UxE the caliper.

The RAC man was probably hacked off having been called to assist beyond the remit of what many would call a breakdown. Whilst treating wheel nuts with contempt isn't the biggest crime of the century, I wouldn't like it either...but then I wouldn't call the RAC out for a stuck caliper.

I think the expectations of the OP were inflated, and when confronted with what can only be described as 'wheel nut/brake fluid gate', was further aggrieved and posted his discontent.

...and to Mr Twibs - you know what, you are right...to a degree. We have all probably tried it on in one form or other in the past, but not all of is would whinge about it when it doesn't work out as hoped.

It has worked out. My car is in getting fixed. What I wanted. So this may be hard for you to digest but you're wrong on this case. I wasn't just after a freebie. That's why I pay for breakdown cover. I'm pretty sure you would have a different opinion if it was someone doing similar to your s2000. Maybe not. I'm not as competent with repairs as you might be so that's why I called them out for a stuck caliper.

Yeah it probably was a whinge but to be made out I'm an imbecile is a tad disrespectful. Like I said I was very civil with him and thanked him for his time.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using IB AutoGroup
Old 05-11-2014, 12:35 PM

Everyone abuses the system, I towed my car 1 mile as I was still inside the minimum distance from my house. The gearbox had gone and I had no drive at all, I also had it towed to a garage 70 miles away to be fixed as it was allowed under the terms.

That was when I was about 19, so many many years ago.

The OP doesn't have mechanical skills to do the job so used his breakdown to get it to a garage, it seems a little cheeky doing it if he had the parts there but that's nothing major. Hope you got it all sorted
Old 05-11-2014, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by shari7

It has worked out. My car is in getting fixed. What I wanted. So this may be hard for you to digest but you're wrong on this case. I wasn't just after a freebie. That's why I pay for breakdown cover. I'm pretty sure you would have a different opinion if it was someone doing similar to your s2000. Maybe not. I'm not as competent with repairs as you might be so that's why I called them out for a stuck caliper.

Yeah it probably was a whinge but to be made out I'm an imbecile is a tad disrespectful. Like I said I was very civil with him and thanked him for his time.

I didn't make out or state that you are an imbecile, so not sure where that assumption came from. I said I thought your expectations of the RAC's remit, regardless of your membership contribution, were inflated. I stand by that, and so do others, but it's only my/their opinion. The world will continue to rotate ;-)

Old 05-11-2014, 12:52 PM

I didn't make out or state that you are an imbecile, so not sure where that assumption came from. I said I thought your expectations of the RAC's remit, regardless of your membership contribution, were inflated. I stand by that, and so do others, but it's only my/their opinion. The world will continue to rotate ;-)

Apologies. I wasn't saying you said that. The rac attendant made out I was. You're right it will. Maybe my expectations were too high. Lesson learned.

Ps mikey. Thanks. It's now in good hands.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:26 PM

there is nothing wrong in what he has done i got the rac to take my triumph herald to a garage to be fixed after i fitted a new engine and could nt get it running , but luckly for me they got it going ! , rac , aa is not a free service if you want to use them to take your car from a to b then whats wrong with that, and as for the guy having an attitude id tell him to keep the f##k away from my car and report his ass , dont get why your getting a hard time shari7
Old 05-11-2014, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by maccax
there is nothing wrong in what he has done i got the rac to take my triumph herald to a garage to be fixed after i fitted a new engine and could nt get it running , but luckly for me they got it going ! , rac , aa is not a free service if you want to use them to take your car from a to b then whats wrong with that, and as for the guy having an attitude id tell him to keep the f##k away from my car and report his ass , dont get why your getting a hard time shari7
That is shocking...

...I mean who in their right mind owns a Herald?!?!? ;-)

Old 05-11-2014, 11:04 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by maccax
Yes there is,,it's an Emergency breakdown cover, not maintenance cover or I'll get the RAC to tow my car cover, the OP clearly tried to misuse the service and the RAC mechanic easily figured this out much to the OP's disgust or ignorance.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:39 PM

I believe that they are not allowed to fit 3rd party parts the customer has already bought, this is to avoid scammers that try and use them as a free maintenance service.

Quick Reply: RAC. total nightmare.