UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Radar Detector installation

Old 06-29-2001, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar Detector installation

Anybody had the same problem as me with No cigarette lighter in the car.

Just tried to fit a Radar Detector and due to no cigarette lighter i'm having to have a wire run directly from the fuse box.

Fitters going to charge me
Old 07-02-2001, 03:29 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's a piece of piss!

Check the FAQ's on the S2Ki site for V1 installation.

Basically, there is a spare terminal on the fuse box over the accelerator, which is live with the ignition on. Chase some speaker wire under the roof weatherstrip & down the A post.

Stick a spade connector on the +ve, you'll see the -ve bolt nearby (riing connector). It's bloody awkward to reach, but otherwise OK.

BTW did you know nanny state is trying to outlaw them again!

check this site:

www.abd.org
Old 07-02-2001, 10:44 PM

Cant you use the 12V powerpoint (the one in the compartment, I think thats where it is)
Old 07-03-2001, 02:00 AM

Free is a better price for the install, because you can do it yourself! It really is easy.

You'll need a set of Phillips screwdivers and a set of Torx drivers. There is no drilling or other alteration of your car with this install.

Checkout step 14 on this link to see how the your front rail trim comes apart.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/S2000/s2khardtop.pdf

Just remove the visors, and the center spotlight, then thread the detector wire harness between the front roof rail trim and the windshield. I routed the wire through the front of the trim and just behind the rear view mirror where the detector is mounted. There is NO need to remove the trim, just remove the visors and the lamp and that will give you enough room to route the wires.

The weatherstripping along the drivers side door allows the wire to be tucked in along the windshield frame and down to the power terminal (to the left and behind the clutch). The upper 12V tap is switched, use that one. Be sure to ground your wire harness to the body.

OK, I know that this description is "down and dirty", but trust me, it is an easy installation. Do a search on Radar installation and you'll find many posts dealing with this subject.

Still stumped? I travel to London at least once a month & I work for Pints! PM me if I should bring my tools next trip.

Cheers -
Old 07-03-2001, 02:56 AM

surreyguy

Where in noth london are U siuated

I live in N4.

RL

UK
Old 07-03-2001, 04:16 AM

Thanks everyone !!!!

Stuff paying the
Old 07-03-2001, 04:19 AM

Jason,

Thanks for mentioning the 12V power outlet between the seats. You could only wire from the back as this outlet cannot be used for cigarette lighter accessories. but thanks for mentioning it
Old 07-03-2001, 02:26 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I just peeled the rubber seal from the windscreen frame metal (it just overlaps) and pushed the speaker wire into the cavity. It emerges just above the detector and doesn't seem to move.

No need to unbolt anything (except the earth cluster)
Old 07-04-2001, 08:01 AM

I know it's a little bit off topic, but don't we get a cigarette lighter??? Is this true for all cars (imported or not, 2000 spec and 2001 spec)?
My car is coming in a few weeks...

Thanks
Old 07-04-2001, 08:07 AM

No cigarette lighter but you do get a power outlet. I remember reading that you can't put a lighter in as the circuit can't cope with the load.

OK for phones though. Better get some padding for your elbow as you'll knock it when you change up....

Quick Reply: Radar Detector installation