UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Refurbing brake Calipers/anyoe upgrading roof soon

Old 09-22-2007, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refurbing brake Calipers/anyoe upgrading roof soon

Hi All,

New to the site but had my S about a year and a half now...Had some trouble just yesterday with a caliper failing and seizing up! P*ssed off...no car for the weekend! Got a second hand caliper coming next week... Got the car in at the garage at the moment. Thinking about refurbing all four calipers whilst its off the road. Anyone know where i can get refurb kits...have tried Brake Parts...but dont stock these.... Any ideas will be much appriecated.

Also thinking its about time i took care of a few bits on the S...firstly a new roof with glass rear screen...plastic window has torn and roof is tatty as. Anyone want to see if we can get a group deal.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:03 AM

Hey...

Ive registered on this forum...but my name has guest next to it...Why is this...and how do i change this to member...also is this why i havent had any replies yet???...(as thought someone would have had some advice on caliper refurbing by now...)
Old 09-23-2007, 04:14 AM

Doh!!!!!!!! Ignore that last post....Just seen the membership info(im a memeber of S2kUK)... here's to hoping you guys dont just reply to members (of S2KI) only...('guys' means people not jsut the men out there).

cheers
Old 09-23-2007, 04:33 AM

What exactly do you mean by refurbing? Replacing parts, painting replacing pads...?

A replacement roof is as you probably know expensive and they are a PITA to fit so i suspect you are unlikely to find enough people to sort out a GB.

Hardtop guy is normally very cheap, shipping and import duty may be expensive but the dollar is so weak it will probably still be cheaper http://hardtopguy.com/store/home.php?cat=11
Old 09-23-2007, 05:36 AM

I mean changing seals (and other easy bits on the calipers)...Know there are 'fixing kits' for many other cars...just havent been able to find some for a S2000...and i'm short of time. Any ideas...?

(will get all four calipers painted aswell...as the rear calipers are off the car at the mo figure might as well get them looking nice etc while i have the opportunity... just got back from my local car store for things like paint but didn't have the colour i want. (Black) Dammit!)

As for roof...would be looking at getting it supplied and fitted by Car Hood(here in Uk)...And yes i appreciate the cost of them(but decided its time to really give my S some loving and make it the most it can be...)....hence why i hope other out there with a old roof might like to see if we could club together and get some sort of discount...on top of the 10% S2KUK discount available.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

For a new roof check out Carhood Warehouse - discounts for S2KUK members:

See here:
http://www.s2kuk.com/s2kuk/Benefits/Suppliers.php
Old 09-23-2007, 05:48 AM

cheers AquilaEagle... already on it....just gonna get the rest of the car up to scratch first though...then the roof and be the cheery on top! (Booyah)
Old 09-23-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Honda sell a seal kit for the calipers.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:19 AM

Do they...oh...dont like going to the dealer for anything if i can avoid it...but guess ill give them a call... cheers
Old 09-24-2007, 01:00 AM

have you (or anyone)changed your seals before?

tried honda...think they have them...but need my chassis number...so i phone my garage to get them to read the number to me over the phone......they ask why...so i explain i have a second hand caliper coming but though i might as well refurb all the calipers as two of them are off the car at the moment anyway...the guy tells me it takes about an hour and a half per caliper...as the pistons have to be clean up etc etc... i tell them that the pistons should never be removed(which is want i was told by someone at "brake parts")...its a case of replacing the seals and as far as i know is pretty straight forward..., then he tells me they wouldnt feel comfortable doing the job. So i say fine (WHATEVERMOFO!) lol...joker...sounds to me like he wanted to change me for a days worth of labour.

Or am i wrong...should the pistons be cleaned etc when the seals are replaced?

Quick Reply: Refurbing brake Calipers/anyoe upgrading roof soon