UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Remote boot lid opener

Old 02-10-2005, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote boot lid opener

I just can't get the hang of this thing. It opens when I dont want it to and it doesnt when I do want it to.. Whats the trick?

Please explain cos the dealer didnt show me and I have all of the paper work, service manuals etc but no handbook
Old 02-10-2005, 12:55 PM

Its a mystery - I've never managed to actually open mine using the remote. I think you're meant to press unlock again within 3 seconds of unlocking the car or something?

Anyway, I just use the damn key.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming you've got one of these remotes ...

then you're supposed to unlock the vehicle and wait until after the indicators have flashed and then press again to open the boot.

I was going to quote you from the manual addendum I got with the car but just realised it's out in the car. From memory it says wait at least a second after unlocking before pressing unlock again to open the boot. I had similar problems to you and then having reread the instructions, realised that I was perhaps not waiting long enough between unlocking and opening the boot.

However, having thought I'd got the hang of it, I tried it a few weeks ago and made an ar$e of it. Either the thing is temperamental, or just very fussy about your timing.

Nowadays I just use the key ...
Old 02-10-2005, 12:56 PM

It takes a bit of a knack but you can get it!

First blip it so that it unlocks and the lights flash, then wait about a second after they have gone out to do the second blip to open the boot.

Now, its the second blip thats the tricky one. It has to be a very short click of it, almost as quick as you can do it. If the boot doesn't pop or the lights flash again (game over in this case) you can try the click again.

Give it a go and see how you get on.

Sam
(2nd dan boot master)
Old 02-10-2005, 01:05 PM

And if you want to open it when the car is already unlocked (as you can with the original Honda remote)? Don't think you can can you

Getting it down to a fine art now, about 1 in 2 attempts successful
Old 02-10-2005, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hit the button just after the last flash of light. works most of the time except when i have my hands full and its pi$$ing down
Old 02-10-2005, 01:15 PM

Hmm. ok thanks a lot guys, yes that's the key type.. Practice will be a task for tomorrow me thinks.. I also find the immobiliser a bit weird. Sometimes I don't need to press it again when I'm in the car, sometimes I do. I think that is down to timing as well. the longer you leave it after unlocking the more chance you have to press the button again. Am I correct or do I just have a dodgy car.

BTW, I notice I have to be quite close to the car and zap it side on when I lock it. Like.. no more than 10 feet or so away. Unlike other cars where I could do this from 50 feet away at any angle, is this normal or could it be down to the battery in the key fob? easy to replace?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nickrg3' date='Feb 10 2005, 09:43 PM
Whats the trick?
Buy a Euro import
Old 02-10-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by nickrg3' date='Feb 10 2005, 10:15 PM
Hmm. ok thanks a lot guys, yes that's the key type.. Practice will be a task for tomorrow me thinks.. I also find the immobiliser a bit weird. Sometimes I don't need to press it again when I'm in the car, sometimes I do. I think that is down to timing as well. the longer you leave it after unlocking the more chance you have to press the button again. Am I correct or do I just have a dodgy car.

BTW, I notice I have to be quite close to the car and zap it side on when I lock it. Like.. no more than 10 feet or so away. Unlike other cars where I could do this from 50 feet away at any angle, is this normal or could it be down to the battery in the key fob? easy to replace?
The immobiliser self arms after 30secs I think (then you need to click the indented button again). It's a requirement for the Thatcham rating.

The range of the remote is shite, that's normal

Old 02-10-2005, 02:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Think (I repeat, think) that if you disarm the car, turn the ignition (but don't press the starter button, the car will remain "mobilised" for a bit longer. Equally, if you disarm the car and then do nothing, you have (a fairly generous) 30 secs before you have to plip it again.

I think like others, as it appears so inconsistent, I really can;t be bothered practising and so just use the most reliable method for boot opening, aka the key.

Quick Reply: Remote boot lid opener