UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Removing Headlight Washer Jets

Old 03-27-2005, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Headlight Washer Jets

Does anyone know how to remove the washer jets on the bumper, below the headlamps. Do I have to remove the bumper, and if so, are there any posts demonstrating this.

Thankyou in advance.

Nick
Old 03-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The only person i know who has removed them, and he replaced them, was biker1.

You can get them painted, colour matched to the car though - thats prolly an easier option.

Welcome to the forum too Update your Profile in MyS2K to show your location and car details
Old 03-27-2005, 01:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are they a part of the MOT for cars fitted with Xenons these days?
Old 03-27-2005, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To remove them you do need to take the bumper off! I had mine off to sort a light out and decided to take the washers out and colour code them. Getting the bumper off undamaged can be tricky!

Once the bumper is off there are two hose clips and two spring clips hold each one on. They also sit on a rubber moulding.

They are needed to pass Euro/UK legislation to get the car through the PDI. I would presume that makes them part of an MOT check but many of us have disabled them and not failed an MOT because of it!

Hope that helps
Old 03-27-2005, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Beardie,Mar 27 2005, 10:54 PM
Are they a part of the MOT for cars fitted with Xenons these days?
Nope, they are not checked in the MOT.

I know because I have a JDM and although they were fitted for the SVA, there is no requirement for them to be tested in the MOT
Old 03-28-2005, 12:21 AM

Thanks for the replys guys. I have had mine disconnected for some time, and havn't had a problem with MOT, plus my MOT guy is pretty cool. I think i'm going to try and get them off and repaint the area anyway. Colorcoding them is an option, but if i'm not using them, I think i may as well get rid of them.

Thanks again, Nick
Old 03-28-2005, 01:26 AM

Erm, only other point that occurs to me is that when you come to sell the car this will probably count against you.

One of the simplest ways to tell if a car is likely to be a JDM is to check for headlamp washers. You can see this from an advert picture usually. I didn't even call about any cars that appeared to be JDMs when I was looking for mine - and if I had I'd have been expecting to get it for a significantly lower price.

No washers on an otherwise UK spec car could cause confusion when the time comes to shift your car..

Old 03-28-2005, 06:29 AM

I gues i didn't realise how important this was for resale value, maybe I'm going to have to think a little harder about this, and perhaps color code them for now and see how it goes. Thanks for the info Tim.

Nick
Old 03-28-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good point Tim, I contemplated it but actually like them when they are colour coded!
Old 04-21-2005, 11:47 AM

I've removed the washers on my German '00 car, after a fender bender (new bumper). I just plugged the pipes, removed the fuse, removed the panel in the console (replaced with US coinholder). The new bumper came with the washer jet holes, so I patched them up before painting. Looks clean!

TUV safety inspection requires that cars with xenons have washers, self-adjusting leveling, etc. but haven't had a problem yet. The law only appeared in 2000, so my car was exempt, not that anyone would have noticed.

///Robin

Quick Reply: Removing Headlight Washer Jets