UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Retard steals car and rams it into a wall!

Old 12-13-2007, 03:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch, not good time of year to be trying to get it all sorted. Did they get the second theif? You should push the Police to prosecute them for TWOC and for the damage.

You can bet that they've done this before and might already be on the radar of local police.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:32 AM
Jel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unlucky fella.

To clarify someone's point - If you have seized suspension parts the insurers will not pay for them - that would be classed as 'betterment' and the contract is only liable to put you back in the same position prior to the incident.

An
Old 12-13-2007, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jel,Dec 13 2007, 04:32 AM
the contract is only liable to put you back in the same position prior to the incident.
Exactly my point.

There is no way they can get away with aligning just one wheel on a S2000, they will need to slaken off all four corners to pull it all back in line.

I wouldn't want to drive it if they just get the NSF wheel somewhere near based on normal tracking, caster camber facillities.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:11 AM

Sorry to hear that.

Shame his mate wasnt standing infront of the car seeing him out of the gap.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:21 AM
Jel

Originally Posted by Lloyd Six,Dec 13 2007, 12:58 PM
Exactly my point.

There is no way they can get away with aligning just one wheel on a S2000, they will need to slaken off all four corners to pull it all back in line.

I wouldn't want to drive it if they just get the NSF wheel somewhere near based on normal tracking, caster camber facillities.
I agree you would need a full alignment, but if the remaining bushes are seized and it is not possible insurers WILL NOT pay for them - why should they cough up for something which was comepletely unrelated to the incident?
Old 12-13-2007, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by wingnutLP,Dec 13 2007, 09:01 AM
Sadly there were no prints inside the car so despite the fact he had the keys in his pocket they probably will not do him for the damage to the car.

Just the police wanting an easy time.

what a shitter
Old 12-13-2007, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jel,Dec 13 2007, 12:32 PM
To clarify someone's point - If you have seized suspension parts the insurers will not pay for them - that would be classed as 'betterment' and the contract is only liable to put you back in the same position prior to the incident.
I see what you are saying but I had a car with the geo correct (ish) the geo should be correct when I get it back I reckon. How they do that isn't really my problem, at least that is the line I will be taking! Couldn't I argue that the geo on all corners could have been knocked out by the accident?

I should have a quote by this afternoon and will keep an eye out for wishbones pump etc... Is there anything else other than the obvious I should look to get done?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by wingnutLP,Dec 13 2007, 05:44 AM
I see what you are saying but I had a car with the geo correct (ish) the geo should be correct when I get it back I reckon. How they do that isn't really my problem, at least that is the line I will be taking! Couldn't I argue that the geo on all corners could have been knocked out by the accident?

I should have a quote by this afternoon and will keep an eye out for wishbones pump etc... Is there anything else other than the obvious I should look to get done?
Make sure you get a HiD ballast plus get your hands on the old one if possible to keep for spare.

Nothing else that I can think of.

I am still standing my ground on the geo thing. I think insurance should put the car back to how it was before regardless of siezed parts.

Ok, lets look at it this way. Hyperthetically I drive an old Astra estate with a lightly dented and rusty tailgate, my rear bumper is covered in marks too.

One day I am driving along, stop at the lights and a car sails into the rear caving in my t/gate and bumper.

Do you think the insurance will say, sorry mate your car was a heap, it still is, we aint paying because it will make the car better than was before, beside the hinges are siezed so we can not get the old door off. The law of betterment??

Nope, it would all get repaired with nice new parts including the siezed tailgate hinges.

I disagree with betterment myself.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:08 AM
Jel

With respect it doesnt matter what you 'think' is right Lloyd, they wont pay- fact.

A quote from a car insurer/broker's website:

"Betterment is the term used when property is repaired which results in it being in a better condition than before the incident. Consequentially insurers may ask the client to contribute to the cost of the repair. The contribution is referred to as betterment.

"Car insurance provides indemnity insurance. Indemnity insurance is the undertaking to restore the client to the same financial position they were in before the loss occurred. If, before the loss, the car had 2 thread bare tyres and now, as a result of the repairs, it has 2 brand new tyres the client is asked to contribute to the cost of putting the car into a better position. (If the tyres had contributed to the cause of the incident the claim could be repudiated on the grounds that the car was not in a roadworthy condition.)"

That clear enough??
Old 12-13-2007, 05:16 AM

Nope.

Wingnuts car was fine before, it needs to get back to that without him paying a penny.

Ok, I am with you on the siezed bushes, albeit unfair because the suspension was ok before, the bushes were even fine as they were but because of the incident they now need to be realigned.

If I was in Wingnuts position i'd be pi$$ed about having to shed out money because some low life has trashed my car.

Quick Reply: Retard steals car and rams it into a wall!