UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Roadster plus hardtop - possible ?

Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roadster plus hardtop - possible ?

Hi, Im looking for a late S2000. Im fussy about condition and miles etc so my available choice is quite limited. This is made worse by the fact that the majority seem to be Roadsters. So my question is:

Is it physically possible to buy a Roadster and then convert it to a GT later by fitting a separately obtained a hardtop ?

If so, is it likely that a hardtop in the right colour will ever come up for sale on its own ?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes but you need the fitting kit. When I sold my 2005 S2000 GT I sold it without the hardtop, then sold the top and the fitting kit separately, the kit is expensive it did as much as the hardtop did, around £450 each IIRC. They were then fitted onto a non GT car.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seemed like a lot of cars in the last 4 years of the model were sold as GTs. Not uncommon for them to be misadvertised by used car traders, what age and colour are you aiming for?

Adding the roof afterwards is not usually the cheapest way to do it although a lot of hard tops do come up both on here and on ebay. The fitting kit including the wiring loom can costa fair bit although there have been a couple of altatives to the honda parts.

Also you have to be wary of the colours, for example I've got a Moonrock and for years said I'd never get a hardtop. when I did I had to have it painted to match the car. Dealer found out after painting it for the first time that they have 3 shades of Moonrock all under the same Honda paint code.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM

Also I couldn't really be arsed with the HT, you obviously only use it in the winter but some of the nicest days we have are then! No spare of the moment roof down action with the HT on!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

There a few on eBay at the moment (and a couple of fixing kits) all seem to have some damage and would need some TLC/respray, also be wary of ones without Honda stands, these tops warp quite easyly.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:23 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I got a kit from a breaker, they used to be more pricey than they are now. its basically a bolt on job, easy.

i love the coupe look with ht on
Old 07-12-2012, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by richmc
There a few on eBay at the moment (and a couple of fixing kits) all seem to have some damage and would need some TLC/respray, also be wary of ones without Honda stands, these tops warp quite easyly.
Is there actually any evidence that they do warp? On this forum the two or three posts I could find on the subject actually related to HTs stored on the Honda stands. Mine was stored by the previous owner the wrong way up, glass side down, on his garage floor for the best part of two years and it's fine.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all your useful comments guys. I'll consider the potential additional cost implications as I look. And you are right, a few do seem to be mis-described which only adds to the problem ! Its an 09~07 that Im looking for with less than 15k....yes I know, dodgy engines and VSA, crazy road tax,.... but they cant all be bad can they? One would think all this dismalness and depression would bring the prices down but it dosnt seem to
Old 07-13-2012, 03:12 AM

You may want to consider insurance as well. The GT and Roadster are shown differently on the V5. So a Roadster with a hard top on is "modified".

Not that I gave this much thought when I had a HT on my old S2K.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Type R
You may want to consider insurance as well. The GT and Roadster are shown differently on the V5. So a Roadster with a hard top on is "modified".

Not that I gave this much thought when I had a HT on my old S2K.
I had that crop up when I was getting mine insured with Admiral. When it came up as a non-GT I told them about the hard top. They added it as modification and it added around a tenner a month. However when I then asked what the definition of a modification was the guy said that it was anything that wasn't a factory option. Therefore as the hard top was a factory option he agreed that he wouldn't list it as a mod thus bringing my premium back down...

Quick Reply: Roadster plus hardtop - possible ?