UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Robs Monster S2K build

Old 03-05-2011, 07:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting.

That manifold looks like it should be very responsive, is it divided at the collector? I read some good things about doing that.

Can some one give me some pictures of an oil feed from the vtec solenoid? Im tapping oil from the oil pressure sensor area at the minute but its a bit close to my intake.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah its not a divided collector. Its not really needed at the power level I'm aiming for. 6-700hp maybe but not for me.

Actually I was talking rubbish. My feed is coming off the oil pressure switch as the Mase kit does with a T-piece.

Freshly plated bolts Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not jethot coat the manifold? My tracysports is and I'm suprised at how little heat comes off it on the dyno etc.

I dont like wrapping manifolds, the amount I've seen after time with it coming off/getting water ingress over time surprises me.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 AM

where was it done dude? Did it come like that from Tracysports? I would prefer coating than wrapping. I think the result is alot cleaner.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:00 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Wrapping is fine imo, done well and tied down it won't come off. Corrosion shouldn't happen either unless the car is allowed to sit outside and the wrap gets wet, and the manifold is not stainless.

Not to say coatings can't be done, but they are brittle and can crack from impact. Also better if it's a show car.

http://www.zircotec.com/
Old 03-06-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahhh....ermmm....I bought it like that my manifold came from the US already coated.

http://www.camcoat.u-net.com
^ A quick search on google reveals the above place in the UK does it.

So far its lasted and possibly added power due to speeding up exhaust gas velocity (but who knows for sure ). I was also able to ditch the stock manifold heat shield, but it wouldn't fit anyways . It must keep the heat in really well, don't get me wrong it does get hot but no where near like others manifolds i have installed in the past without coating/not running the stock heatshield.

This is more or less what mine looks like...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/foru....php?tid=99904 - bit of praise on here, gets the thumbs up from me.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:57 PM

Cheera guys for the info and links! I have just emailed Zircotec about getting their themal coating applied to my manifold, dumptube and downpipe. I expect it will be pretty pricey but will be interesting to see...I'll have a look at the other coating to irvatron. Looks like the same coating that Bisimoto use on their crazy F1 style tubular manifolds...
Old 03-06-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cyber gook
What's this bronze/gold coloured coating - I need to get my suspension bolts done in exactly that finish to give them some protection.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:28 PM

Its called Zinc and yellow dude. When I asked at the platers they said thats the OEM finish...
Old 03-06-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Build looks very good.

However....

If there is one bush on the car that I wouldn't have as polyurethane, it would be the front caster.

IMHO it will wear very quickly and bind the suspension, although you will mitigate this somewhat by having stiffer/shorter spring damper setup.

If you must shell out for a spherical bearing, this is the one to get. At very least get the mugen rubber bushes.

Oh, and no matter what compression ratio you have, the car will not drive like stock off boost due to the turbo being in the way of the exhaust gases/intake flow and that your intake is designed for boost which means that off boost it will stall flow.

As such, it might be worth you fitting a thicker head gasket even though you don't want the head to come off, otherwise the size of your turbo will not be optimal for the boost levels you plan to use.

Quick Reply: Robs Monster S2K build