UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rounded bolt head

Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Rounded bolt head

I've oft repeated that I am a mechanical numpty and that I shouldn't be allowed to work on my car without adult supervision.

Anyway, I managed to change the bonnet latch on may car on Sunday, but also managed to round off one of the bolts.

I thought that this would be ok, as I'm unlikely to have to undo it again, but then I noticed that I needed to refer to a different page of the workshop manual as the latch needed to be properly aligned with the catch on the bonnet so the bonnet would close.

I noticed this after I tried dropping the bonnet from the usual height and it simply bounced back open. fortunately, I managed to get it closed in the end through the use of some "additional closing force" i.e. slamming it shut. It may have been that this was due to the tightness of the new spring, but may have been lining, up, although it looked ok to my eye.

Anyway, I haven't yet dared to try opening the bonnet again but thought that in case I did, I might try to remove the rounded bolt. Is the best way simply to get hold of a bolt removal kit like this? http://www.uktools.com/product_info.php/ir...or-sets-p-11525 or is there a better way i.e. get some helpful soul to do it at the Surrey meet or is there a chance it'll get stuck halfway open and held on the latch?

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you get a six sided socket on there still, that might do it if you have only knocked off the corners.
Other option are the sockets that drive by contacting the flats and not corners.
Have a gander in Halfords as they are open?
Or a large pair of self grip pliers or Stilson pipe grips Simon?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Small mole grips?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a hammer and a punch with a nice sharp tip. Start the punch with a few light taps on the outside edge of the bolt head. Give it a couple of harder taps to get the punch nicely seated and drop the angle of the punch to about 45 degrees and tap it so you are turning the bolt head anti clockwise. With a bit of luck this should get the bolt moving enough to unscrew it. If the punch slides out, start again on another part of the bolt head.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:48 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Thanks chaps.

I tried with the socket and a pair of pipe grips, but to no avail.

It might be ok in the long run, if it's just the tightness of the spring...
Old 01-11-2010, 09:50 AM

Try a little bit of heat on it too before going at it.

Careful slamming the bonnet, I'm pretty sure they're aluminium so won't take too much abuse.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 AM

Either you can get another bolt welded on or cut a slit in the face of the bolt and use a flat head screw driver to remove
Old 01-11-2010, 10:19 AM

You want a set of these badboys they shift most rounded bolts.
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/...IrwinProd100328
Old 01-11-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Crash the car into a parapet & hope it shears! Blimey, you are all a bunch of blowtorch boys!

LG, the bestest way is to unround the bolt by filing (or Dremelling) two parallel flats onto it. You can now use an open-ended spanner the next size down. Or Moles, if you really have overtightened it.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Still think my ways best

Quick Reply: Rounded bolt head