UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Running In Period - WHICH OIL ???

Old 03-22-2004, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running In Period - WHICH OIL ???

I got my 04 last week - absolutely love it. Cant compare to previous s2ks but coming from an elise its a very different proposition. Much more "liveable".

Anyway... I have been trying to get a consistent answer about which oil to use for the first 5k miles... and have been completely unsuccessful !
I have phoned 6 dealerships - and each one has given me a different answer. ("only use mobil 1"/ shell helix ultra/ castrol gtx/"anything apart from castrol gtx"/ "dont use mobil 1")
I have scoured this board and the word seems to be only use mineral oil for the first few 1000 miles.

I have no doubt that the members of this forum are far more knowledgable than the majority of honda dealers....but can i just ask why I should be sticking to mineral oil and not use synthetic or semi straight away ?? Its just that I dont want to ruin the engine by putting in the wrong stuff...

Thanks
ml
Old 03-22-2004, 01:53 AM

have a look at the extensive section on oil in the Technical FAQ, which you can find in the "Important Link" thread stuck at the top of the board.

The short answer is Honda recommend 10W-30 oil, but the viscosity isn't as important as ensuring you use mineral (rather than semi- or fully-synth) up to the first service at 9,000 miles.

Halfords 10W-40 (in the burnt orangey colour bottle) is a popular choice. Post-first service, Shell Helix Ultra and Mobile One seem to be the most popular synths.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:02 AM
P 1

emell
Congratulations on your new S
I got mine last December, and like you needed to find out re toppoing up during run in.
This is what I understand from all the searching I did.

1. First port of call has to be the tech FAQ here
Tech FAQ

2. The S does use oil during run in - this is perfectly normal. Check the level after every tank of fuel - remember to let the car sit a good while for the oil to settle. Don't forget to check!!!

3. The Honda factory fill is 10W 30 MINERAL oil. Top up with mineral, not synthetic or semi synthetic. I understand that mineral oil helps the engines moing parts bed in more effectively.

4. Do not change the original oil until the first service / 9,000 miles (Note this service relates to the '03 model - not sure if there are any changes for '04)

5. I searched high & low for mineral 10W 30, and eventually found some at my local independent car parts shop. Halfords and petrol stations did not have it.
The oil I bought is manufactured by Tetrosyl Ltd, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 6RE (Tel 0161 764 5981)
It's called "Carlube Gold Extra Lite", and meets all current specifications (API SL, ACEA B2) Thre's a web site on the can, but I haven't been to look at it Care4Cars.co.uk

Hope this is helpful
Old 03-22-2004, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

The Technical FAQ which neil takes a lot of effort to keep fully updated is excellent
Old 03-22-2004, 02:25 AM

Hi - yes the tech FAQ was my 1st port of call - just curious as to why so many dealers have given me so many different answers - I'm just trying to find the correct one.

Is it something to do with the chemicals in Synthetic oil which is bad for new engines ?
Old 03-22-2004, 02:28 AM

Most dealers seem to be clueless, by and large There are isolated exceptions, but they seem to be few and far between.

As I understand it, mineral is recommended because the engine is initially quite porous. Synth would just drain straight through it. Mineral, on the other hand, must have bigger molecules or something like that, since it doesn't drain straight through - it helps the engine bed in.

A complete Noddy's Guide explanation but, if you're REALLY interested, there's a better one on here posted last year. Best of luck finding it though, with the somewhat random search engine on here
Old 03-22-2004, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by emell ...but can i just ask why I should be sticking to mineral oil and not use synthetic or semi straight away ??...
Fully synthetic is just too good at reducing friction, using it from the start can delay everything bedding in and subsequently the car may use/use more oil for much longer than it otherwise would.

That's my understanding anyway

edit: actually, seeing Mark's post jogged my memory as it corresponds to what Tonky once posted here
Old 03-22-2004, 02:41 AM

Really useful guys - thanks a lot !!
Old 03-22-2004, 03:35 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

If you REALLY want to get technical about oil, search for posts by Road Rage on oil - but prepared to be baffled!!
Old 03-22-2004, 07:02 AM
ADP

Halfords orange bottle stuff is fine, you cant really miss it

It does go through a bit of oil at first, esp from 1000 - 2000miles as at this point youll be booting it everywhere

Mines on about 3500ish now, it doesnt seem to be using quite so much

Quick Reply: Running In Period - WHICH OIL ???