UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

RUST on rear quarter panel :(

Old 12-12-2015, 05:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RUST on rear quarter panel :(

I've just come in from sorting out the door switches, decided to take a quick look around for rust in a couple places, and I saw this:

It's because the bumper rubs the metal. The part of that panel that touches the bumper was slightly rusty when I took the bumper off a few months ago, but I sanded it lightly and used kurust, hoping for the best. I don't think it was bubbling at that point. if it wasn't, then it hasn't worked. Besides, kurust only works on exposed rust, so...
I don't want to expose this rust because it would be visible, and require a respray. Since it's pearlescent paint, that means the whole panel. Or, since it is only a tiny bit, I could sand it down to shiny metal, then touch it up, and it will hardly be noticeable probably, but it will be visible.

I don't know. Do I let it get bad and then deal with it?

I'm just wondering what you guys would do, or have done already?

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regardless of looks, I'd get it done the best I could.
My car's quarter panel was repaired by the previous owner and I must say that the repair is rubbish!
there are bubbles all over the arch and rust inside the trunk as sealant was not applied where it should been, and rust was not removed properly.
I am now faced with a much more difficult repair. My advice is get it done the best you can, even if it means respray.

Best Luck