UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rusted sub frame

Old 06-12-2017, 12:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rusted sub frame

I'm looking to purchase my first S2K, i'm wanting at a car for the long term 10+ years and one I have spotted has a rusted rear sub frame that was noted in the MOT. This car is low mileage and a decent colour however it is TOP money so feel it should be immaculate. What is the best way to proceed?

1. walk away as it's not worth the hassle, just find another one
2. it happens to most cars that at 10+ years old, you will have to repair it on most cars at some point
3. Expect a chunk of money off
4. Ask the retailer to get it fixed before purchase

I've had a look on the forum and whilst there are worse jobs this, seized bolts could be an issue and massively impact repair costs. Unfortunately i've got two young kids and not a lot of space so doing a job like this is going to be impossible for me. If I put it into a garage it must be a costly procedure. Also noted on the MOT were worn front and rear suspension arm bushes...

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:19 AM

Received 1,251 Likes on 947 Posts

S2000 chassis parts seem to rust pretty readily if its been used on road salt. Find one that has been garaged through winter if that is something that bothers you.

The bolts should appear a shiny gold colour, the subframe should be black. However...the arms/spindle may have a *small* amount of surface rust from rain driving.

If the car's subframe was rusted bad enough that it was noted on an inspection...and it has worn bushings (bushes), there is a good chance it was improperly modded and/or abused.
The following users liked this post:
sanch3z (06-14-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 05:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Low mileage or not, rusted cars can be a nightmare on multiple fronts, especially if you like doing any work on the car on your own. I'd say avoid and be on the look out for another. Mine has double the miles and has a pristine underbody.
sanch3z (06-14-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 06:41 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

There are a few places that will sort out the subframe, seam weld + powder coat etc. probabaly on an exchange basis too, it's the stuff you can't easily unbolt you want to worry about like the rear arches and sill/drain holes.

tbh it sounds like it needs a good amount of time spent underneath replacing the worn bushes as it won't be as simple as that, they'll all be stuck, need chopping out and £1200 worth of parts and labour to sort out.

I'm with the "let someone else take it on" side of the argument owing to your lack of time /space
Old 06-12-2017, 07:16 AM

all good advice, in all honesty i'm pretty excited to be getting one but nervous about missing out on a decent example. This will be the occasional car for me (certainly initially) as I work from home but might need to travel a little more for work from January. Bearing this time frame in mind I have a few months to wait for the right car but it's tricky knowing what is right. Part of me wants to get my hands dirty so it feels like my own but the reality is different with a young family. In 5-10 years i'll have more time to spend on the car as i'm planning on keeping for a very, very long time...

Reviewing the this car, at nearly £14k for a 2005 it's overpriced and whilst it has done low mileage this will mean very little would have been done so it's likely bolts etc will be seized which sounds like a nightmare...

Thanks peeps
Old 06-12-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

A picture would be really nice if you could provide that, people have a wide array of definitions of "rusted"
Old 06-12-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

And what's the miles on it ?
Old 06-12-2017, 09:03 AM

It was actually whilst doing my research on a car. I had the reg so checked the MOT history and it has has front and rear bushes as an advisory for the last five MOTs and a rusted rear sub frame in the last one. The car has only done 35k. I kinda question an owner of a car like this who leaves the bushes... I'm also not sure at what point an MOT inspector makes a note on a sub frame? Is it early or late on in the rust process??? I've not gone to see it yet, am trying to do as much research before/if I go... I feel inclined to leave this one, it seems grossly over-priced!
Old 06-12-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thats over priced .... I paid 12k for an 04 with 25k on
Old 06-12-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Lol, I know of one very locally that I was contemplating a PX on as mine is on 68K miles and this one has 37K - but my wife said "You've got your one just how you like it, why would you want another one and have to start all over again? " so blew out that idea and left it at that....

...I just went to look at their website and it's still for sale and whaddya know, it has had bush issues and a corroded sub-frame looks pretty heavy on the tyres too, been through a few sets by the looks of things so will defo need the geo doing. It also only has just over a month left on the MOT so whoever sold it wanted rid before having to fork out. What's the likelihood it's the same one ?

I don't think you're missing out, there'll be better ones coming along and this really is peak season for rag tops, there are many threads on here with people waiting for "the one" and eventually finding it - yours will come !
sanch3z (06-13-2017)

Quick Reply: Rusted sub frame