UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

s2000 buying dilemas !

Old 02-06-2007, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2000 buying dilemas !

Ok guys need your help here ! been looking for ages at s2000 and been out for a few test drives.
Dilema one ? I have come from some very torquey cars and the s2000 is brilliant fun and a real drivers car, but on a short test drive feels very sluggish and needs working ! Is the vtec experience and the other benefits worth the low down loss ?

Dilema 2 is that my budget is stretching up to 20k ish and at that region there is a lot of choice over nearly new dealer cars and eu import cars, bob gerrard specifically, bearing in mind i need a part ex.
I have read the postings about the eu cars and there seems to be little difference, just have to be careful about the future price ? has anyone on here bought from bob gerrards before ?
what are your views on that decision, honda dealer, UK car but slightly older car ? or bit more for a new eu import car ? (with stability system) !
to give you an idea of the choice, here are a couple i have been looking at,
2005 8k moonrock ,with black and red int
Old 02-06-2007, 02:46 PM

You soon get used to it

They do feel even worse if they are on 95ron, not all dealers put the expensive stuff in.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my car from Bob Gerards a couple of years ago, and can highly recommend them.

The cars are exactly the same as UK sourced cars, except you get the metallic paintwork, the tarty interior and the VSA all included in the price (althought the Honda warranty is for 60,000, not 90,00 miles).
As far as resale values goes, whilst you probably won't get as much as you would for a "proper" UK car, the difference is a lot less than the savings you will make in the first place.
As far as I am concerned it's a no brainer (and, fingers crossed, I'll be picking up a new one from them on the 1st of March).
And no, I don't work for them!
Old 02-06-2007, 03:02 PM

You'll soon get used to the :revs: and love it, but it does have less torque than a poxster at low revs.

There are many on here who have bought from BG, all with positive reviews. The only difference with an EU import is the warranty being only 60k miles rather than 90k miles, I don't think there is anything else. I think all of BG's cars automatically come with VSA too

Good luck

EDIT - damn too slow
Old 02-06-2007, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an 06 with VSA from BG - very good even when I needed to make a warranty claim!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by luka,Feb 6 2007, 11:32 PM
Dilema one ? I have come from some very torquey cars and the s2000 is brilliant fun and a real drivers car, but on a short test drive feels very sluggish and needs working ! Is the vtec experience and the other benefits worth the low down loss ?
If you wan't to drive the car hard you keep the revs between 6k and 9k. You get used to it (especially if you ride bikes).

Old 02-07-2007, 12:03 AM

Why do you need a PX.

You will always be better off selling your car privately, even if you take it to a trader and get trade price you will get a better discount for cash.

You can easily save
Old 02-07-2007, 12:03 AM

I too have had torquey V6 & turbo engines and don't regret the move at all!! I went through the same dilema for about 6 months, but I was pleasantly surprised with how liveable the S2 is!

I bought an early MY04 and got it at a steal (
Old 02-07-2007, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a new S2K and lost a packet when I sold it as a result ..... This time round I bought a MY05 at a good price with only 6K on it - and am much happier that the first big depreciation 'hit' has been taken by the previous owner!

As for coming from more torquey cars - I came originally before my first S from a BMW 330i which had followed a V6 4motion Golf ...... and I quickly got used to the S's power delivery without issue at all. My second S2K shares it's home with a V8 TVR Griffith - and I actually find the S2K easier to live with every day and still alot of fun.

I personally would not worry at all about the 'lack' of low down torque - once the car is well run in and on super unleaded it will be much better. Also, as has been mentioned - it is a car that needs more than a short test drive to fully appreciated !
Old 02-07-2007, 01:16 AM

Really sound advice guys, thanks for that, it really does help in the decision making process + I want to be able to join in at a few events and the posts on the web site all seem very friendly and positive so that helps too.
To Bassoctopus ! the part ex is me just being lazy and the fact that not many people buy 15k cars privately it seems ? I advertised my current car in november at below average price and had 2 calls in a month. At the moment dealers sales are very slow (look at the adds) and they are giving reasonable prices as a result (see my original post s2000 05 plate 8k miles

Quick Reply: s2000 buying dilemas !