the s2000 choice - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

the s2000 choice

Old 04-15-2018, 12:14 PM

Default the s2000 choice

If condition wasnt an issue what year s2000 would people buy for 10k.

a Pre facelift
facelift but pre tax increase
facelift post tax increase.

and why?
john
Old 04-15-2018, 12:59 PM

Just buy the best car you can find

I have 2 older ones, they are great cars but it's important you get one that's been well looked after above all

A bust engine will ruin your bank account, things like diffs and boxes, suspension, body work can all be pretty expensive.

They aren't undersealed well stock so usage/storage/protection counts

I've only driven a heavily modded 99 and a standard 2001, they are both epic imho
Old 04-16-2018, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the info.

Iv driven a pre facelift and a facelift before the tax hike/pre 2006 vsa & elec throttle. I prefer the facelift as far as driving goes. Never driven the later model as i didnt want to pay the extra tax a month. But most of the decent looking cars are coming up in this post tax bracket.

how do these later cars compare to the facelift pre tax versions?
Old 04-16-2018, 01:38 PM

I dislike elektrocrap throttles and wouldn't buy a later car for that reason. Plus I already have 2 so it seems overkill haha. I think the cheaper tax cars are still cable flap.

​​​​​​Multiple suspension tweaks through the life of the S2, some detailed in the FAQ. The early cars I think had thicker anti roll bars but as standard smaller wheels than later cars. You'll hear many opinions, I don't have one having not tried later. My lowered car has more grip but has track tyres, it slips more progressively too but it has a lot more power so that may be a factor.

To me the early cars are not at their best on bumpy surfaces but on decent tarmac very enjoyable

Fundamentally the later cars are evolutions I think. I doubt chalk and cheese. It's dead here, try the Facebook groups.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:34 AM
UK Moderator

I had an MY02 and now have an MY09.

I can't tell the difference in the throttles/response at all.

The MY09 rides and handles much better.

The slower steering took a little bit of getting used to but it's fine now. I'd say it's a little less delicate than it was on the MY02, probably because of the heavy wheels and tyres. I might change the alignment to improve this.

The biggest thing to worry about with these cars as they age is rust. So getting one that's been protected/rust free (and there are some great examples in this forum) would be my main aim.
The redesigned seats mean it's less windy in the cabin (and I believe they offer better rollover protection, too).
Old 04-17-2018, 01:22 AM

What about the issues iv heard with later engines.
it looks like the low tax facelift cars are much more expensive even if the car is tatty compared to a facelift with the higher tax in good condition.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:39 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by Brailer View Post
What about the issues iv heard with later engines.
it looks like the low tax facelift cars are much more expensive even if the car is tatty compared to a facelift with the higher tax in good condition.
There is a concern with the MY08/9 engines, but you'll be lucky to get one that new within your £10k budget, I'd guess. Then again, one with higher miles of that age is most likely ok.

People get too fixated on the headline tax figure of £520 IMO, rather than the difference in tax, which is £520 - £315 = £205, or about 4 tanks of fuel.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2 View Post
Just buy the best car you can find
This, I'm on my second 2003 pre-facelift and both drive well because they've been well looked after. Only big expense I had was to get the bushes replaced, but it's worth it to get the ride right.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:15 AM

For me the best was my05
Old 04-23-2018, 07:46 AM

When I sold my Elise and decided to go for an S2000 I read a lot, drove quite a few, and decided that the facelift, pre-March 2006 was the sweet spot.

Revised suspension to make it less prone to snappy oversteer moments, better looking lights and bumpers (IMHO), 17" wheels also look better to me, and the lower tax too, £200 per year extra on tax for exactly the same car frankly annoys me.

Also, I wasn't overly keen on the drive by wire throttle on the post 2006 cars either, so cable throttle was a must too. Then there's the 2008/9 reported engine issues which completely put me off those years.

As said though there are choices to be made, and buy on condition, that is crucial and ultimately the most important factor.

Edited to add that I bought a late 2005 with 21k miles, moonrock with red and black interior - I know I made the right decision for me 100%.

Last edited by Little Bob; 04-23-2018 at 07:49 AM.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service