UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 handling issue

Old 12-06-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, the car is completely standard, has full honda history so has been looked after pretty well, when i got it, i noticed this trait so I gave it into my mechanic who is very good btw, and it was booked in for rear discs and pads anyway, but he had a good look under the car and he couldn't fault it so he recommended getting the alignment done, so today i went to get the alignment done (best in my area) and it was a full alignment - both front and rear. It has somewhat resolved it slightly but i can still feel it there. I will wait for a dry day and try again then take it from there. Alternatively, if anyone knows a s2000 guru in buckinghamshire/bedford/west london region i am more than happy to go to them a show the car.

Just to clarify, the swaying feels like the front end, i will check tyre pressure tomorrow morning and check what tyre sizes are on there too.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2016, 11:02 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I can recommend Wheels In Motion in Chesham for all your tyre and alignment needs. UK Tyres Online Cheap Car Tyres Shop | Blackboots Wheels in Motion
Old 12-07-2016, 12:08 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Could it be something as simple as a sticky rear caliper?
Old 12-07-2016, 04:43 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a preface lift car - recent purchase and this is what I have gone through:
Tyre pressures
Tyre choice - I didn't think Conti's were great, they are not a common choice. Sidewall stiffness is key on these cars.
Sticking rear calipers - simple MOT check / brake check will show this up. Are the rear wheels hot after a drive? +1 for sticking calipers as richmc and lower pointed out.
Alignment - you say it's a pre-facelift, so given the age - are the suspension bolts free and greased? You said you had them adjusted - were they able to adjust all the settings : toe, camber and caster? Mine are all seized at the moment, so will need cutting and rebushing. Diid you get an alignment print out?

I can certainly recommend Wheels in Motion too for sorting alignment.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
One thing to check is the rear diff bushes and bolts. If these are buggered, then the lurching effect you are getting could possibly be the unwinding of the torque reaction of the diff if the bushes are worn / split - especially if it only does it one particular way each time.
Nope - I've had diff bushes which were totally, totally ****ed (falling apart) from hard launches in sprinting with a supercharger and it didn't make the car go one way or the other. I think you're trying to deduce things from first principles rather than experience. Are you an engineer by any chance?

I'm currently destroying a diff a year in sprinting FWIW, not that it's something to be proud of!
Old 12-08-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

My money is on a fooked lower rear control arm balljoint or a dead / broken droplink.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:06 PM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
My money is on a fooked lower rear control arm balljoint or a dead / broken droplink.
Agree with the possibility of a ball joint - the broken droplink would be more obvious on inspection?
Old 12-09-2016, 02:14 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

MY02 used to pull like this under heavy breaking. Changed tyres, pressures, sticky calliper, all of which reduces the pulling but it was only the replacement of 6/8 seized bushes that fixed the issue properly.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG
MY02 used to pull like this under heavy breaking. Changed tyres, pressures, sticky calliper, all of which reduces the pulling but it was only the replacement of 6/8 seized bushes that fixed the issue properly.
Same here... I spent ages trying to get it to "align" correctly. On the ramp everything looked perfect but the driving dynamics the car was always off. In the end the fix was to replace the seized bushes within the car. Not sure how much movement there is in a properly tightened bushing, but there must be some. The seizing was the age old bolt seizing to the metal insert in the bushing.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have been reading this thread with interest. I am as puzzled as anyone about this, the whole tyre issue though is largely irrelevant, yes the car was designed for stiff side walled tyres as we all know, however Chris from Centre Gravity said that at the end of the day the most important thing is matching tyres all round which the OP has.
I have a standard MY99 which has matching tyres (and standard original suspension/bushes) and over the years Chris has changed the set up to give a very stable car indeed. I went to see Chris in April this year and said my car seems pretty much vice free ! after his usual thorough investigation he concluded that it definitely wasn't vice free ! he set to work and it is now

My advice is go and see Chris, he will not just tweek/adjust your geo, he understands the effects and knows what causes this or that characteristic.

Last edited by tozerman; 12-09-2016 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply: S2000 handling issue