UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 no good?

Old 07-17-2015, 11:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

EVO have done this before though. When they tested the original Focus RS they hated it, fast but flawed. Move forward a few years and they drove a privately owned example which had been 'sorted' with geo and tyres etc and they loved it and even increased it to 4 or 4.5 stars (can't remember).

Colins major gripes were...

1... High seating position...purely personal opinion.
2... Flawed chassis...He is correct in what he says TBH, as we know a lot of its flaws can be ironed out with geo/bushes/bracing etc

To be fair to Colin he didn't say it was bad just that he was expecting it to be brilliant and it wasn't.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:40 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Evo rattle on about how Audis with numb dynamics are their bag then they say the S, a genuinely exciting car to drive is not very good.

The two dont add up as the way they describe 'evo'ness the S2 pisses all over my E92 M3 - driver involvement and excitement

But of course it boils down to personal opinion. James' May's mate doesnt like it, really wgaf?

I'm with Chesh for once, the S was my daily for years albeit a mostly short commute
Old 07-27-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts

When your commute is up to an hour, it pisses you off though. I had the same "issue" in the Accord Type R. I find that they are careless at being bogged down at a certain rpm beneath vtec. So you're always trying to ensure you're carrying enough rpm to ensure you're not caught short if you need to drop a cog. In commuting traffic, that's stop start, it's mind numbing enough. I'd done it for nearly 5 years in vtec motors,and needed to relax/waft on our motorways. The devils fuel works better on the long bits unfortunately. F20's and H22's are pretty frugal for what they are. But in the rain and cold ap Norf, they can be an awful partner especially when they drip on your suit lol
Old 07-28-2015, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Commuting in the S wears me down a bit as well. It's just no fun at all. Thinking about getting a nice barge as a daily
Old 07-28-2015, 12:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1437116846' post='23683535
[quote name='Andy_F' timestamp='1437116242' post='23683532']
I'm calling click bait and unskilled driver in a generally unforgiving car. All those users who voted it first in JD Powers (how many years in a row was it?) can't be wrong.
Well, that was mostly this forum spamming the poll, so we could have been wrong

As I've said many times before, I don't think the driving position is too high, just that the scuttle is low, so you can see where you are going. It used to be the same in all Hondas.

Look at the VAG "copies" of Honda designs Scirocco vs EG Civic, A3 vs EK Civic. All they did was raise the metalwork line at the expense of the window height.

Funnily enough, the windscreen height vs width is something Mikey mentioned about the McLaren "MCL have been very clever, the windscreen is taller than it is wide! You can see the road ahead really well and the tops of the arches tell you where the corners are "
Given Mclaren's history of using the NSX as a benchmark for the F1, it makes sense.
The Scirocco is a classic example of using a hatch?SUV plank to spin off a low H-point Coupe and as a result, the driving position/sight lines are awful. The same applies to the CR-Z.

Funnily enough, it's never mentioned in the VAG-obsessed publications...

The S2000's seat is fine if you're of Japanese stature. What it lacked was the ability to drop the cushion to a lower setting, which you could do on every other Honda. Pump the 86's seat up to the highest setting and it feels equally as weird, too. Decontenting, or simply no room for the twirly knob thing?
[/quote]

I agree that it's too high but it's a miss-conception that the seat is ok if you're a shortarse or of Jap descent |-)

You notice that the trunk length of most people is similar despite their longer or shorter legs.
People sit around the dinner table at roughly the same height don't they?

S2000 seat is too high regardless of height (or lack of it in my case!).
Old 07-28-2015, 12:30 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree it's not a commuter. I look at it like shoes; you wouldn't go running in evening shoes, or wear trainers with a suit (unless your Northern). Cars are the same. If you want sporty and fun, don't expect comfort and luxury. Similarly, if you comfort, don't expect sporty. Unless you get an M3 or something AMG. Ok, shite analogy!
Old 07-28-2015, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah, you're right Cynic. Unless you have mega bucks buying a car is always a compromise. That said I'd much rather have a car that is very good at one thing (hooning down fun roads!), rather than a car that is mediocre at everything (what 99% of the population buy)!.

Get the right tool for the job
Old 07-28-2015, 03:41 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Yup - the S2K is still the right side of hooligan.

I do wonder how the S2000 will compare with the new Elise that is under development.

I'm sure it will inevitably be heavier & more refined than the current car, but will it still make the S2000 look like a refined barge?
Old 07-28-2015, 04:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG
......or wear trainers with a suit (unless your Northern). ......
Unless my Northern what?
Old 07-28-2015, 05:59 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Unless your Northern sense of grammatical accuracy intervenes?