UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 under 3mth engine warranty from dealer......might have engine issue!

Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 under 3mth engine warranty from dealer......might have engine issue!

Hi all,

I am really down in the dumps............

Been hearing a weird noise from the engine over the last week! These noises have become more and more noticeable over the last few days....

Took it to two local garages today and first thing they asked me was whether the engine oil was topped up.

I check the engine oil level every week when I wash the car on every Sunday and have made sure it is suitably topped up

I didn't get around to checking it this Sunday though so last time I checked was Sunday 7th July. When I checked it on that day it was over approx at midway mark so didnt top it up further.

When the garage checked it today it was at the low mark, he believed the engine may already be damaged and mentioned there could be potential damage to the internal parts of the engine and said it is likely to get worse and would eventually screw up my engine completely and I would be looking at a bill of approx £800-£1500 to get it fixed!!!

We toppped it up with oil and it is now at the high mark again, the noise has only slightly improved but it is still quite loud!!

I only bought the car less than 3 months ago and got a 3mth warranty on the car from the dealership for engine or gearbox issues.....

I need to speak to the dealership to advise them of this issue so they can look at it and assess what the issue is....I am worried they are going to suggest it was caused by my negiligence or some other rubbish excuse and not get the issue fixed under warranty. Especially if it is a big bill

I have only had one mechanic look at it thus far so I will take it to someone else to get a second opinion. Does anyone have any advise on how to raise this with the dealer so I stand a better chance of getting any issues fixed if it is engine related.

I can post a video of the sound of the engine if it will help as you guys might be able to work out the possible issue from the sound given your experience

Really annoyed and hoping it isn't something serious but the signs don't look good.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:45 AM
UK Moderator

Received 305 Likes on 261 Posts

What does it sound like?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:48 AM

Hard to describe but it sounds like a rattling, best way to describe it is the sound of a penny being tossed around in a metal cylinder.

If you put some throttle on it sounds like it goes away but anything from 1k to 2.5k it is noticeable....Maybe it still happens at higher RPM but can't tell.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 AM
UK Moderator

Received 305 Likes on 261 Posts

Sounds like TCT to me.

Does it do it when cold and when warm?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:58 AM

Yep it occurs when cold and hot.

I will take a video of the engine and post it later today
Old 07-17-2013, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Sounds like TCT to me.

Does it do it when cold and when warm?
TCT

So OP has something to compare it against.

Edit: Just saw you said you hear the sound when cold.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:05 AM

If the sound has got 'better' since topping up the oil the chances are it won't be serious and hopefully be a simple fix. If the oil has run low and oil pressure has been lost and serious internal engine damage has been done then no amount of oil will fix it. It's possible that a thicker grade of oil has been added and maybe masking the sound but its unlikely. When it's screwed it's screwed!

It's possibly your TCT or possibly your valves that need adjusting. Lets have a listen to the video and go from there. Also is the sound there from cold start, warm idle or both?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 AM

It does sound very similar to that in fact!!!

I'm now not sure if I get that sound when it is cold......car is parked at work and by the time I go back to the car to start it, it would have been switched off for 4 hrs.... Would this be a cold start?

Apologise for the naivety on all matters cars/engines I feel like I right plank.

I will then record a video of the sound after I get home (30min drive) and post that but it does sound very similar to the video you just posted.

If it is the TCT how could that be damaged? Could it be caused by low oil or general wear and tear?

Car was last serviced only 4k miles ago and I doubt the Timing chain was looked at. Wondering if it is this whether the 3 mth warranty would cover it.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:09 AM

If its the TCT, put your worries at rest my friend! You can refurb or replace the part (not hugely expensive), and it will/won't have damaged your engine.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by westlondonsun
It does sound very similar to that in fact!!!

I'm now not sure if I get that sound when it is cold......car is parked at work and by the time I go back to the car to start it, it would have been switched off for 4 hrs.... Would this be a cold start?

Apologise for the naivety on all matters cars/engines I feel like I right plank.

I will then record a video of the sound after I get home (30min drive) and post that but it does sound very similar to the video you just posted.

If it is the TCT how could that be damaged? Could it be caused by low oil or general wear and tear?

Car was last serviced only 4k miles ago and I doubt the Timing chain was looked at. Wondering if it is this whether the 3 mth warranty would cover it.
Starting up after four hours would be classed as a cold start.

Quick Reply: S2000 under 3mth engine warranty from dealer......might have engine issue!