UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2K Demonstrator

Old 08-02-2001, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K Demonstrator

The Black / Black 'Y' reg demonstrator from the recently bankrupted Hartwell Stafford Dealership has turned up on the forecourt of Brindley Honda in Cannock for
Old 08-02-2001, 09:20 AM

MattRS,
for the small difference of 500 quid I would buy a new one. The demonstrator has been thrashed for sure and all sorts of people have clambered in and out abusing the trim without a care in the world.

Nice to know but not for me.

Sam.
Old 08-02-2001, 09:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MattRS
[B]The Black / Black 'Y' reg demonstrator from the recently bankrupted Hartwell Stafford Dealership has turned up on the forecourt of Brindley Honda in Cannock for
Old 08-02-2001, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a cautionary note here. I really rate Brindley Honda but when I went for my test drive I drove the only one available, a red/black belonging to Mr. Brindley. He always insisted that for test drives the tax disc be taken off and trade plates put on the car. The weather was atrocious...torrential rain. The trade plates were unceremoniously dumped loose on top of the dash and in the back window.The plates were the usual heavy metal jobs. Throughout the test drive they were sliding from side to side as I cornered in the car making the most horrendous bang at each end of their travel. Oh that poor rear screen and the top of the dash There'd have to be a considerably bigger saving before I would consider the demonstrater, and I'd want to have a damned good look at it.
Old 08-02-2001, 12:41 PM

Thrashed a demonstration s2k the other day. It is only there for testing, always buy new unless the second hand car is looked after lovingly. Difficult to say the max I would pay for demonstration model, import it for 22k and wait 5 months, else get a brand spanking new one in uk for 26k I think only 3 months max for this.

Often.
Old 08-02-2001, 01:22 PM

Hmmmmm................

I have a bit of a problem with the attitude of never buy a demonstrator its been thrashed attitude.
Shall we say never ever buy a second hand car ?
I thrash my car every single time I take it out.
There is a rev limiter to protect the engine.
There is a temperature limiter to stop you thrashing the engine prior to operating temperature being achieved.
Performance cars are made to be thrashed and many mainstream cars are also thrashed on a daily basis.
Modern manufacturers have failsafe systems to protect their engines from excessive abuse.
You have a 3 year warranty to protect you from the excessive cost of premature failure of components.
As long as the car is regularily serviced there is not a problem.
I am a Quality / Metallurgical engineer for a large engine manufacturer, modern manufacturers make their components failsafe to protect their customers and themselves from premature catastrophic failure.
Do not be so paranoid
As long as the car is free from obvious signs of abuse e.g. dents etc, you have nothing to worry about.
I would advise caution if you are intending to keep this car past the manufacturers warranty period because it is fairly young in its life (S2000) and long term ownership may be expensive but that is still unknown at this time.

What I am trying to say is if it looks good, buy it (if it is at the right price and condition), enjoy it and do not worry.

AnDy.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:44 AM

Guys,

Thanks for your concern ....but I was just pointing out to everyone on the board that there is an S2000 just sitting quietly in a showroom waiting to be snapped up - I agree that the price is ridiculous, it must be down to the good weather !

My shiny new Silver / Red should be delivered on August 24th - hopefully never been thrashed by anyone !

Matt.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:59 AM

Matt,

I'm sure there is a good reason for this, but it's not a new S2k is it? Just thinking about new reg on 1st September and you delaying registration.
Old 08-03-2001, 02:20 AM

AnDy,
An interesting take on things. Yes much of what you say about the engine is spot on. It's just that there are other pleasures and risks associatde with buying an S2000.

I personally love the newness of the car - I don't appreciate that sopmebody has seen the first miles on it (especially if they haven't paid for it).

With a demonstrator I am cautious because you don't know if there has been scuffs, scratches, etc that have been covered up.

I am probably not alone in admitting I am retentive about my car. I am an enthusiast and regard the whole experience something different to owning an Astra.

Besides worrying about the lack of care to the engine (Waiting for the engine light to go out before hitting the button, etc) it is the supplemental damage that I worry about.

Have you ever been a car dealer?

Kind Regards,
Sam.
Old 08-03-2001, 02:28 AM

Dog Biscuit,

Yes - it is a new S2000, but fortunately for me its a company lease car so I'm not too worried about the plate.... My company have told me delivery wise that its either the last week in august or the third week in September.

I know which i'd prefer

Matt.

Quick Reply: S2K Demonstrator