UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Scottish Fool looking for bit of advice

Old 08-27-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by martin j
Where are about? maybe someone close to you will get in touch so you can "plonk yer bum".

I wouldn't expect a complete stranger to be that helpful, to be honest!

I'm in Wishaw.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:58 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

S2000 owners are a strange bunch! It's almost akin to a biker camaraderie. Think of it as a CB2000...

I've given a few 'strangers' a taster and they've invariably bought one afterwards.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
S2000 owners are a strange bunch! It's almost akin to a biker camaraderie. Think of it as a CB2000...

I've given a few 'strangers' a taster and they've invariably bought one afterwards.
Well, if anyone would like to bend my ear, in person about the merits of their s2000 I am available!
Old 08-28-2018, 04:08 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm around your height and I find the fit "snug", However you will need to sit in one to determine for yourself. My cousin who is roughly the same height drove it and he couldn't fit good at all, his legs were too long!
As far as value you can never gamble that a car will not loose value. Every car looses value in the long run except some pristine no miles limited production car sitting in someone's grandpa's garage for the last hundred years.
True our depreciation value is low right now but there are no guarantees for the future. Collector car values are driven by many factors.If you're buying the car hoping not to loose any money when you sell it. Not driving it will be very important. Even then sadly it's loosing money as it sits in the garage.
If you're st on that path:
Get a low mileage CR (a limited edition car). The lower production number the better or closest to the last production number would be good also. Get it home clean it cover it and don't drive it. Good luck... cause it's a gamble

Last edited by Langelo DeMysterioso; 08-28-2018 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:12 AM

I've uncovered several posts indicating that there is ample leg room but if you're long of torso you'll be in trouble.

Like I said I'm 6'2" but definitely more legs than anything so hopefully will be OK.

Reading through old threads I find myself sympathising with 6'7" folk asking if they'll be OK. Those poor giant bastards have no chance.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:31 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Langelo DeMysterioso
I'm around your height and I find the fit "snug", However you will need to sit in one to determine for yourself. My cousin who is roughly the same height drove it and he couldn't fit good at all, his legs were too long!
As far as value you can never gamble that a car will not loose value. Every car looses value in the long run except some pristine no miles limited production car sitting in someone's grandpa's garage for the last hundred years.
True our depreciation value is low right now but there are no guarantees for the future. Collector car values are driven by many factors.If you're buying the car hoping not to loose any money when you sell it. Not driving it will be very important. Even then sadly it's loosing money as it sits in the garage.
If you're st on that path:
Get a low mileage CR (a limited edition car). The lower production number the better or closest to the last production number would be good also. Get it home clean it cover it and don't drive it. Good luck... cause it's a gamble
They don't sell CRs in the UK.

As for depreciation, I expect it's all relative unless you buy a low miler and do 30k miles per year.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:25 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

For example when mine was my only car, i was doing 15k a year in it - now it's a 2nd car and 3rd vehicle ( other car is an Aygo and i have a bike ) and it does around 2k a year. I bought mine with 52k on it ... now it's done 108k and it runs better now than it did when i got it. The mileage doesn't bother me as i know the history of it.

Something with <60k and a facelift model but pre 06 or whenever the tax hike / DBW throttlw came in is the sweet spot and as above, buy on condition.

Last edited by unclefester; 08-28-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:57 AM

My budget is 10k.

Dont want a high mileage car.

The S2k market seems to be broken into 3 distinct segments:

1: cars under 60k miles starting at £12k
2: cars around 70k miles for around £10k
3: cars between 90k and 130k for around £7k

Anything else seems to be a bit of make it up as you go along to be honest.

With a £10k budget it seems I am going to have to wait for the right car to come along and jump on it.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Winter is the best time to bag a bargain.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCZ4
Not sure where you're based, but I'm up in Aberdeen. I also have lowered seat rails which may help with a chap of your height. Even though I don't have that concern, it's still much better sitting in the car than the feeling of on it.
You've not said where you're located, but my offer still stands.

I think you'll struggle to get a low mileage car for £10k, especially one in good condition.

Quick Reply: Scottish Fool looking for bit of advice