UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Seats - Care

Old 09-30-2001, 03:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seats - Care

The S2000 is my first car with leather seats. So I'm interested in any thoughts on how to care for them correctly.

I know Autoglym do a treatment, which I think you do anually, but I'm interested in any thoughts.

I'm also interested in any suggestions that could make the seats a bit more grippy. I'm sliding a little on the leather. The ITR's Alcantara Recaro's were much better for me. The S2000 has good seats, but I like the seat to hold me 100% so I don't out any load on my feet. I'm not sure I can do much short of changing the seats, which I don't want to do yet. (It's also something that is second only to roll cages on the list of things that insurance companies will hammer you for.)

Out of interested I've changed back to using my Honda floor mats. This gives a much better grip for pivoting my right foot, which gives much finer throttle control so I can driver smoother. I've got some Autosyle mats on order as well. Depending on how things work out I might want a spare set of Honda mats - so in a few weeks I'd be interested in buying a set of Honda mats of someone who's likes their Muz or other mats. PM me if you're interested in selling me a set.

-Brian.
Old 09-30-2001, 04:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian:

I haven't used any treatment on the leather seats yet despite Jan raring to have a go. All I do at the moment is make sure I vacuum well in the crevices of the seats to remove any potentially damaging grit and rubbish which gets trapped there. Any slight marks on the seats have come off up to yet with a damp leather.

I suppose any good quality leather treatment including the expensive sort you buy for 3 piece suites etc. would be safe to use.

From using this stuff on our leather suite we know it is excellent for cleaning the pores of the leather and bringing back the colour. It also makes the leather more supple, but a side effect of this is that it can also promote creasing which is just what you don't want in your car seats.

Basically in answer to your question I don't intend to do anything until the leather starts to look dull and dry

Andy Pandy:

I've just treated my soft top with Autoglym Bumper Care applied with a small damp sponge. It's been done in the garage with the door open to aid circulation. It looks very black but also a little patchy. I finished off by buffing the whole top over with a damp clean sponge. Have I done good Danno or have I fuxed it up
Old 09-30-2001, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by bmarshall
I know Autoglym do a treatment, which I think you do anually, but I'm interested in any thoughts. Brian.
I used Autoglym on my Saab (black leather) and it was fine. For the S2k, I bought the special Honda leather care stuff from my local dealer and it's rubbish.

Pete
Old 09-30-2001, 04:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]Brian:

I've just treated my soft top with Autoglym Bumper Care applied with a small damp sponge. It's been done in the garage with the door open
Old 09-30-2001, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know what your area is like - but down here today you would have almost too much opportunity to test the rain beading!
Old 09-30-2001, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by mikerich
Don't know what your area is like - but down here today you would have almost too much opportunity to test the rain beading!
Can you say "Cats and dogs!?"
Old 09-30-2001, 07:29 AM

When doing the soft top with Bumper care, you need to soak it into the sponge, and then rub it on the top. That way you won't get and patches.

Also, for the seats use Autoglym Leather Care, but don't buff it after, this will help your a... grip to the seats

Dave
S2000 DJ
Old 09-30-2001, 07:51 AM

Tonky, Dave is spot on, you have to load the sponge so it delivers the bumper care efficiently and evenly.
Make sure there are no patches or they will stay.
If in doubt just go over it again with even strokes.
Old 09-30-2001, 07:55 AM

I also make sure that the sponge is dry apart from the bumper care product. The first time I did it was with water and it made a patchy mess so I had to do it again (after watching the Autoglymn video....which is brilliant.....cheers Dave).
Old 09-30-2001, 08:34 AM

As a previous Auto Glym addict (you have seen the pictures ) I always used to use their leather conditioner. To be honest it isn't too great, it tends to wear off after about 3 weeks or so.

I have now converted to Zymol products, I used their "Treat" and "Vinyl" products on my seats and door panels when I valeted the car on Friday. The Treat leather conditioner is superb to use, the results are spectacular - even my mother in law passed comment when she saw them! I can't comment on the longevity of the results but the leather at the moment is a lovely deep shade of red where it used to look a bit pinkish and is so supple yet not overly shiny.

Zymol products have me totally converted from Autoglym now except for the Fast Glass, can't beat it!

Quick Reply: Seats - Care