UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sebring vs, Silverstone Silver

Old 12-05-2001, 01:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy-moly! I cant believe this - I have been to every British GP for the last 18 years (including mubath-2000) but 2001 was set to be special - I had bought tickets (start line grandstand) for me and my oldest son - his 1st GP (8 years old - same age as I was when I 1st went to a GP).

He nagged me for months, and I was finally convinced he could take the noise when, at Goodwood this year, he stood next to (3' away, in the pit tent) the McLaren Merc whilst it was fired up and put through a full heat cycle warm up - culminating in 16-17000 rpm, no engine cover, blue flames stabbing out of the exhausts (if social services find out they will probably take him away from us!!!) He was (and is) so excited about going to the race next year.

God this pi$$es me off.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So in terms of US dollars what would a good ticket cost for the British Grand Prix?
When I say "good" I mean just one step up from "general admission."
So we are comparing apples to apples I have gone to the last 2 US GP at Indy. A good reserved seat ticket was $75 and that covered Sunday the race day. For an extra $25 you got a general admission ticket that lets you in Friday and Saturday for all the activities. I then spend an additional $50 for a camping/parking pass about a 1/4 mile from the gate and I live out of the back of my pickup for 3 to 4 days having a complete blast!
I'm also sad to say I will miss the '02 US GP at Indy because I have a driving school that same weekend at Watkins Glen Int'l, and I do after all have to pick my priorities.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:41 PM

Every race circuit has access issues!! I have been to 3 outside UK and they are all equally as bad as S.Stone - and as well as not speaking English!

Anyway - Formula One is a UK effort (even Ferrari), we just let the rest compete to make it more interesting - so they can't have a Championship without a race. The Germans get 2 (3 including Spa) the Italians get 2, the French get 2 (Monaco).

It's just as usual - the Brits openly admit their problems - like water quality, UK has the worst quality of water in Europe according to the EU (because we did not frig the results)

- but would you drink from a tap in a maison Francais??? not ******g likely.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully you guys will have sorted it by the time I come back .

I will just have to put up with going to Suzuka instead

Seriously though, let's hope that they see sense and keep Silverstone
in the line up
Old 12-05-2001, 11:45 PM

what would a good ticket cost for the British GP
All grandstand seats are the same price - I paid
Old 12-06-2001, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mikerich
Paul Ricard Silver?

LOL, that would cause quite a stir I guess...
a car with the name of an alcoholic beverage!
Old 12-06-2001, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by le car

LOL, that would cause quite a stir I guess...
a car with the name of an alcoholic beverage!
Oh dear - twigged
Old 12-06-2001, 04:13 AM

I was lucky enough to attend the Jordan 10th Aniversary bash at Donnington last year (you would have seen me on TV ) and I'm sorry to say it surely didn't look in any fit state to hold a GP, lovely circuit, really excellent changes of evelvation and some gorgeous curves but IMHO far too narrow and constrained for decent overtaking in F1 - another Hungaroring.... also the access to the track by road is a joke.

If the FIA can drop Silverstone how on earth can Sao Paulo keep its GP?? Or Russia get included on the calendar?? Both of these are very hostile (crime ridden) locations for GP teams and overseas supporters but they get included in the calendar Yes Silverstone needs work and yes I for one would love to see Brands get a fair look in from time to time but at the end of the day I want to see a British GP on British soil and if the Government had half an idea of what the UK provides to motor racing worldwide they would put their hand in their pocket for
Old 12-06-2001, 04:23 AM

far too narrow and constrained for decent overtaking in F1
Oh I dont know, I remember Mr. Senna cramming a whole seasons woth of overtaking into the first lap there a few years back! (yes, alright it was a tad wet )
Old 12-06-2001, 04:28 AM

Hell, for the price of those tickets you could just about spend the same amount and fly over to the US GP at Indy and get a seat! I will say one thing, the track, services, environment, hospitality, etc. at Indy are far from crap. The place is amazing! I have grown up at Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Mid-Ohio, Mosport so I am a road course kind of guy. When I went to Indy it was only my second time to an oval. I was not prepared for the sheer size of the complex. Wow!

Quick Reply: Sebring vs, Silverstone Silver