UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Seized bushes. Dealer at fault?

Old 05-17-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 433 Likes on 368 Posts

I suggested Powerflex to ad these from the factory but they didn't seem very interested, they implied it would be beneficial though.
Btw this is the grease I'm using http://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-411.../dp/B00GVKBQHY
The PTFE seems to be very beneficial in making it extra slippery and quiet.
I think you could use pretty much any thing though but a sticky silicone grease would be my second choice.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
Flanders , that's the way to go for sure , such a large bearing area and a small groove I doubt would cause a problem only benefit , the yanks do exactly this for various cars using poly bushes , Mustangs for instance , found that on some website of sad car owners some time ago , now do I know some sad car owners over this side of the pond , er wife reckons I am one !!!! I like ur swirls inside the bore of the bush , just like In a plain bronze bush.

Christ carbon , no don't "knurl" the tubes they would be like reamers against the poly bush, and if you did that you do it in a lathe with a "Knurling " tool , ask Lower .

I suppose you could knurl and then polish , maybe that would hold lube and not wear the bush as much, , you try it and be the guinea pig .
Ah that's why I asked lol I think I will stick to the first idea then..cheers for the advice.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
Yes grease channels are a good idea to , easier to do in the bores,of the bushes .

Plain bronze,bearings often had lube channels machined in the bores , from straight groves either side of the grease entry to quite sexy patterns , used to see an interesting machine putting these in in the factory where I did my apprenticeship. All those years ago .

No UK serious lift manufacturers left now !
Cough
Old 05-18-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Oh er!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just used Strongflex red bushes in mine ( their nearest to original road spec). Sure they had grooves in plus added enough marine grease to do the job twice
Old 05-19-2016, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got round to checking all mine last night.

I have re-greased the bolts on all but one, which is the rear control arm. It's completely seized in.

Assuming if we take heat to it to soften it, will this knacker up the bushing? Short of that it's either replace the whole arm (£450!) or try and cut the bolt?
Old 05-19-2016, 01:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MikaRaymond
Assuming if we take heat to it to soften it, will this knacker up the bushing?
Yes!

Old 05-19-2016, 04:06 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MikaRaymond
Got round to checking all mine last night.

I have re-greased the bolts on all but one, which is the rear control arm. It's completely seized in.

Assuming if we take heat to it to soften it, will this knacker up the bushing? Short of that it's either replace the whole arm (£450!) or try and cut the bolt?
The rear bolts can sometimes be removed with a bit of brute force from a air hammer if you know of of someone local, just need to get a new pin first as it sometimes damages the thread
Old 05-19-2016, 12:05 PM

Received 433 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by prince buster
Just used Strongflex red bushes in mine ( their nearest to original road spec). Sure they had grooves in plus added enough marine grease to do the job twice
Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see what kind of grooves they use
Old 05-20-2016, 12:24 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Strongflex red poly bushes

Quick Reply: Seized bushes. Dealer at fault?