UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

shut off while driving..now no start

Old 08-28-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shut off while driving..now no start

01 137k miles, all stock based out of lakenheath/mildenhall area

hopefully someone got an idea as to what may be going on. normal driving nothing out the ordinary till I started hearing a rattle for a second kinda like if the heat shield was loose or something (TCT?), suddenly the car jerked/hesitated for a second and kept going fine. .5 mile down the road coming up to a stop the car shut off and had the oil light/battery light come on - still had headlights/radio etc. Tried to turn it back on and it just made a click just like when the battery dies. Tried to get a jump start..nothing, tried a push start..nothing. Checked fuses, connection to the batt, immobilizer is all good, fuel pump primes and no funky smells. Left the car parked overnight and today I took out the battery to get it recharged just in case..still nothing. I don't have a socket big enough to try and spin the crankshaft as of now.

appreciate the help,

pic of said car

Old 08-28-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

From what you have said I am wondering if you've got a seized bottom end.

Take the spark plugs out and see if you can turn the crank, if you haven't got a socket then you could put it into gear and see if you can move it by pushing the car (or rocking it backwards and forwards).
Old 08-28-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

I thought that too..

put her in 6th and see if she'll move with a shove
Old 08-29-2017, 12:40 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

But there is the possibility of a jammed starter motor, if you are lucky.

Rather than turning it over yourself maybe get it towed to where it can done with the sump off and the shells checked. How was the oil level?
Old 08-29-2017, 02:02 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Yup - sounds like a fatal error exception has occurred in a line somewhere between the crank and the camshafts.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:27 AM

oil level is good, ill give it a try today to see if it'll move. any recommendation as to where to tow the car to? just got here two weeks ago.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2017, 03:15 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Firstly, exercise caution getting it "towed". Flatbed truck is best to avoid potential damage to the LSD.

Next, I would suggest draining the oil into a clean pan, then run a magnet through it. If it picks up ferrous debris then you have a problem. Consider dropping the sump and see what you find.

I'm not sure about S2000 engineers in your area, TGM in Fleet are experts but a long way away.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:29 AM

tried moving it and it just locks up. I guess time to find a shop.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

one option would be TDI in Lakeside, Thurrock - know their way around our cars and quite a bit closer
Old 08-29-2017, 04:21 AM

wouldn't happen to have like a ball park idea of how much a rebuild would be - obviously we don't know the exact problem but maybe an idea?

definitely don't have the time to deal with it nor money since i just moved here. would a part out be worth it?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: shut off while driving..now no start