UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Skipping gears when changing down

Old 12-04-2007, 04:48 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

So long as you time it right;

It's a common Prelude fault to have a bent 5th gear selector, because the cack-handed force it in direct from third, without counting the double-beat.

That's my reservation; it actually takes more skill to skip gears than it does to be sequential.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NatL,Nov 30 2007, 10:06 AM
The reason I'm asking is that I've always gone through all the gears whether going up or down the box but my company recently sent me on a defensive driving course which is start to the IAM course. The instructor said I ought to get in the habit of block changing when going down the box to save the effort of going through all the gears.

He also said that when waiting at red traffic lights you should leave the car in gear with the clutch fully depressed and the other foot on the break pedal instead of taking the car out of gear and using the handbrake. I think the idea is to give you more flexibility if anything untoward should happen.

I'd appreciate any comments.
That is exactly what I was taught on my MAC advanced driving course that came free with my Civic Type-R.

Since then, I still block change up and down (although I don't have an S, so I'm not aware of S-specific issues), matching revs as best I can. What I have changed is that I use the handbrake if I'm stopped for longer than a few moments, and I release the footbrake once a car has stopped behind me.