UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Skipping at rear

Old 11-23-2003, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skipping at rear

Ok, as you've probably realised I've just bought an S The only problem I'm having with it is that it's really skipping around at the back end on cats eyes and road imperfections even at low speeds and is not giving me any confidence.

Now I know the following - the car is ok mechanically as I've had a full inspection done.
Tyre pressure is 32 all round
Tyres are S02s - new rears
Andy had the old geo settings redone recently when he put on the new rears, because the fronts were wearing unevenly but the fronts were old when the geometry was done - I know you're meant to use all new tyres when changing the geo settings.

I was planning on getting a full new set of F1s on and getting the revised geometry and the tracking done asap, does anyone have any other ideas?

Cheers

Neil
Old 11-23-2003, 08:26 AM

Neil

I have fairly new S02 rears and fairly/unevenly worn fronts, but have no problems with handling at the back end at all.

I did notice today that the car was feeling the bumps a lot more, as its much colder up here for the first time this year.

Can't think of anything else.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:38 AM

A long shot, but are they ES-0JZs, rather than just S02s? I know Boy Wonder et al have been having problems with dealers having fitted the wrong sort of S02s recently..........
Old 11-23-2003, 08:43 AM

I have a black/red of exactly the same age albeit lower mileage - mine has doing precisely what you described for about the last 6 months. Tiny blemishes in the road such as cats eyes and rough surfaces throw the car off balance. I've had all the suspension checked at last service a few months ago and all that is ok. Mine is getting even worse in the wet weather and it is a pain to have to think about all the time. I am contemplating test driving an 02 or an 03 to compare the feel, and might change to an 02 if it feels substantially better.

I have some new discs and pads going on at the weekend so service manager said he'll check the tracking - this may help to some extent.

I've had the new geo settings done, although it was a while ago and i'd like to get them re-checked - just don't wanna spend a
Old 11-23-2003, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you use to driving when i first started to drive mine i thought it was not sure footed but it was because i was not use to it,the only thing i can suggest is find a wide area and push it till you see how good it is, if its wet it does feel slightly worse but as i now know the car is very controllable when it kicks out, if your quick with the steering.
MIne has f1s so i dont know how s02s are in the wet.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

nice to hear you've finally bought an s neil. Get your VIN put in and status changed to Owner, and post us some pics
Old 11-23-2003, 09:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by neil_s2k
The only problem I'm having with it is that it's really skipping around at the back end on cats eyes and road imperfections even at low speeds and is not giving me any confidence.
Sounds like you bought a dud

F1's at 34psi should give you a softer feel and the 02 geometry settings should make the car feel more planted and skip less.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:05 AM

My last one didn't really skip round like this, and I was fairly confident. I spent 3 yrs with a 200SX so I'm quite happy with the RWD setup.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:13 AM

Dont worry, you've still got warranty cover. but remember its freezing today
& from what I recall your other brief S was in the summertime?
the car will skip on cats eyes/ paint etc it depends if its doing it in the total dry & with a well warmed up car.

dont forget the car is only warmed up when the gear knob feels warm

warren
Old 11-23-2003, 10:23 AM

My last S was for a week, exactly a year ago (spooky ) The car was skipping on the motorway in the dry and in the wet although it was very cold today.

I have heard that it's a bad idea to do the suspension geometry on worn tyres, I wonder if this the cause of the problem.

How can you tell if the tyres are ES-0JZs or S02JZs? They say S02 on the side.

Quick Reply: Skipping at rear