UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

snow fun !

Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow fun !

well about 1cm of snow.. ive NEVER driven the s in the snow before.. always take the Landrover - but thats currently off the road! managed about 6 miles and relised i was never going in a straight line - was very hard work so headed home... people at work will be mad as everyone else would have got in but i was not risking an accident ! anyone else mad enough to drive in the snow ?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:25 AM

Received 128 Likes on 109 Posts

Yep, it's interesting! Good fun in my parents' village with their nice wide roads and low kerbs. Not so much fun in the narrow streets of Bristol! Certainly tests your delicate right foot though.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You did well to try this, however it needs a bit of respect. I've done the same with my previous S, but snow had turned into ice. I guess it wasn't such a good idea to do it at night time.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:28 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes 20mph, 3rd gear and almost no throttle. Not having high speed on the straights means no need to skid wildly trying to brake for a corner.

I'm not looking forward to fighting my way up the 3 degree hillside slope out of the works car park, however once moving it's fine.

Admittedly it's a 3 mile drive not a 30 mile drive, think i'll pop a couple of sandbags in the boot if this weather is going to kee up.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:29 AM

ive got 34 miles to work.. so decided i was mad - VERY annoyed though - just changed the left caliper this weekend and could feel the right dragging now and again so that made me swerve ! need a bit of spirited driving to balance them up but not today !!!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:39 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Dragging caliper? Are you sure it's not the diff making you twitch in the snow?
Old 02-22-2010, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The S is quite a funny car in the snow, I attacked a steady gradient hill and almost managed to get all the way to the top, until the back end kicked out and I was 90 degrees to the direction I was going, took ages to get going again then got stuck on the crest of the hill, it was practically flat! Tried nipping the handbrake on as I'd seen that suggested as something for the diff to work against but made no difference what so ever.

The snow is starting to get on my tits now.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:50 AM

ah may have been! i do feel like though now ive cured one side the other is catching slightly , its not been driven much over the winter so imagen the piston needs a good bit of spirited driving ! and to clean the pads / discs properly, bring on the sun !
Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 AM
MI5

Hi Tom, When's the next Oxford meet or have you booted that pub into touch?

Thirteen miles to work, mostly on back roads, so gritter?, what gritter?. Drive every day, no matter what the conditions, snow just makes it interesting and a delicate right boot ensures everything stays more or less straight.

But the others out there...................................

Lived in Norway for a while, so Im pretty sure the problem is not me, its the others who havn't got a clue how to drive in snow/ice. Its as if they have never seen the stuff before and either go too fast or crawl along looking through a scraped hole in the windscreen.............grrrrrrrr
Old 02-22-2010, 02:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

10 miles for me this morning, and I too felt the car moving all over the place underneath me. Nothing major, but definitely not straight and narrow

Quick Reply: snow fun !