UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

And so it begins. Again.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And so it begins. Again.

Well, it's official - I am most definitely back in MCB!

After a crappy morning at work and 3 hours on the train, I met up with Will W of this parish and did the deed. Super Sarbs' car became Will's car became mine.

The first mod took place before Wed even signed the V5, a Type R style gear knob! This is much shorter than the stock One for an 01 and makes a huge difference to the feel of the shift.

After another 2 hours sitting in the Friday evening M25 car park and a non functional stereo, it was time for a spot of tunnel action at hindhead. Oh. Wow. If there was ever any doubt in my mind about this being a good decision, that little moment of joy dispelled all doubt. I have kinda fallen in love with the car all over again.

Next mod was to fit the CG Lock that I got for the last S. Even on the sort trip out this evening to fetch dinner, I can already tell the difference.

So, pizza duly consumed, it was out to the garage again to swap out the retro OEM head unit for something a little more useful. Enter stage left a Sony HU complete with tilting front panel, rear usb cable and remote control patch box, again left over from the last S, but more recently used in the V8 landy.

So, with a working stereo, what was the obvious thing to do? Call it a night, go inside and have a well earned beer? No chance! Off came the door cards and speaker baskets, out came the dremel and after much swearing and just a touch of soldering, I have Vibe Black Air 6" component door speakers! Only one problem. The Honda speaker wires are puny and the next job is to hook up the pre outs on the head unit to the big chavvy 4x100w RMS amp.

At this point, it became clear that some helpful soul had done this story of job before and a lot of the dash panels are only loosely attached... nothing that a handful of trim clips can't fix once I'm done, but for now that's great news. So, more swearing, some awesome amateur contortionism and lots more swearing and I now have big boys writes to my speakers.

At this stage, the light rain was threatening to become heavy rain, so having defeated one side of the car, I called it a night.

Tomorrow's tasks are to do the same on the other door, albeit quicker and with less swearing, then find a location for my amp, run power to it, find a decent earth, then run audio and remote cables to it from the head unit and hook it all up. Oh, and fit a usb extension cable that appears in the glove box.

I'm still undecided whether to run with just the components for now, or whether to transfer the 10" active sub out of the Landy into the boot.

Questions for the masses:

1. What is the ignition switched live that picks up under the dash by the fuse box rated at?

2. I need up to 50 amps for the amplifier, although I suspect it won't get past half power as I'm running it in 2 channel mode with a potential 200w rms per channel vs 115w rated speakers. It's not about out and out volume, just clarity of sound... am I better off running a big old cable from the battery terminal and if so, what's a nice tidy way to bring it through the fire wall?

3. Am I better off stashing the amp under the seat / behind the seat, or in the compartment with the spare wheel? My inclination is to go for the compartment, but I have no idea whether there's anything convenient to secure it to in there. Suggestions?

More jobs yet to come, other than getting the paintwork titivated are to fix the cloudy headlights, replace main beams and side lights with bluer bulbs in keeping with the HIDs, and to seek and destroy about 4 or 5 annoying little rattles, squeaks etc. Oh, and the hood on the move mod.

It's too dark tonight to get any pics up, but I'll certainly have a go tomorrow.

If there are any particular aspects of what I'm doing that anyone would like a how to of, just let me know and if I get a spare 5 mins, I'll see what I can do.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ian - I ran a cable from the battery for the amp - I have one at the right length for an amp located by the spare wheel in my garage. I ran the cable along the passenger side, under the sill/carpet, behind the trim and into the boot. It's red too, so will look good in your engine bay

Securing for road state 7 was achieved with a couple of self tappers dipped in underseal.

The fused spares are not suitable for an amp btw, but will happily supply two heated seats elements.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2014, 01:42 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Amp on top of the fuel tank is what I do. You can see pics of my old setup in my signature.