UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

So much for getting the back out...

Old 08-19-2004, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So much for getting the back out...

I decided I hadnt had enough fun with the RWD aspect of the S, so on my way back to work tonight, found a nice open bit of bricked road (nice and slippery), and as its completely dead on the business estate I work on, decided to really give it some gas and get the back end swinging.

Gave it some revs, while turning right, and came off the clutch expecting to do something resembling a donut, and next thing I know, the cars bouncing off the rev limiter about 100 times!!
I seemed to move extremely slowly, but the back wheels werent spinning out at all, all that was happening is the clutch seemed to be completely slipping, all the time the cars bouncing off the limiter at 9000RPM.
I backed off, but even then changing into second and trying to drive off resulted in much rev limiter hitting, more clutch smell, and very little movement.

Very unimpressed, the RX7 would have had a load of fun doing that, the S just sat there frying a clutch. Seems to be okayish now, lots of slipping, but im guessing it'll cool down and be okay, but is this normal? would you have expected to break traction before slipping the clutch? Ive not been convinced the clutch is right, bites very high, so may be on the way out, but basically there was no fun to be had, just a lot of noise, lots of rev limiter, and the lovely smell of a clutch that cant bite, great!!

Im supposed to take the car for a few runs at Santa Pod soon, dont think Ill bother, will be a pretty useless car off the line if it sits there spinning at 9k rpm and not going anywhere.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:28 PM

I need a bit of momentum and some lock on before the back moves - the car grips a lot better than you think.

On dry cobbles I need to give it a fair bit of wellie and let the clutch out sharply to avoid it slipping if I try to do a 180 out of a side-on parking slot without steering my way round.

Could be interesting taking it back to the dealer with the complaint that you can't get the rear to break traction.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:03 PM

I think it needs a stronger pressure plate, to me it feels way to soft, another thing to stick on my wanted list.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:23 PM

Sounds like you came off the clutch too slowly. Sidestep it if you want it to bite at high revs.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:26 PM

I had the same thing happen to me once (only once) back when I had only a few thousand miles on the clock.
Now I've just passed 36000 miles and I had to pay
Old 08-19-2004, 10:31 PM

Side-stepping the clutch at 3.5 - 4.5 is the way sideways.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:12 AM

Ahem. At the risk of sounding un-educated, "side-stepping the clutch"??

Edit to correct spelling of un-educated
Old 08-20-2004, 01:17 AM
Ryn

Depress clutch, add revs, move your foot off the clutch sideways so it pops up, rather than lift it up with your foot.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its exactly as its sounds - just put your foot to the side - don`t give any slowness in the move. It turns the clutch from analogue to digital! and fecks it up....
Old 08-20-2004, 01:40 AM

IIRC the clutch in the S2000 is designed as a 'weak link' to stop us trashing the rest of the drive train. New clutch is

Quick Reply: So much for getting the back out...