UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

So much for getting the back out...

Old 08-20-2004, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seriously would not advise side stepping the clutch its not required. In the dry its very hard to do this due to the low torque. Give it 5-6k revs and take your foot off the clutch quickly. Its best to do this on colder tyres in the damp. The smell will only happen if you do it wrong, you need a faster action and a surface where you will lost traction easily. Try it on grass - its more fun and safer for your clutch and car.

At Santa Pod it is very easy to get wheel spin due to the slippy nature of the track and the stuff they apply to it. I got wheel spin for the whole of first gear and some of second there.

The clutch is poor on the S, but its easy to mess around on damp open areas, but just be careful with your clutch as its weak .
Old 08-20-2004, 01:52 AM

didn't need to touch the clutch on mine, roll along in 1st (or even 2nd if it's wet or you've got a lot of lock on) on cold tyres and just floor it from 5K rpm and my rears would spin up.

find a quiet roundabout or car park, turn in a tight circle in 1st or 2nd and then lift sharply off the gas and ther rear end will inload and /or start to slide, if you hammer the throttle from there you'll spin nicely lol.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:57 AM

I have tried this donut thing in the wet but on a grass field. Are you 100% certain that it was the clutch slipping and not the wheels going crazy? It very well might be that the rear wheels were just spinning away because of lack of traction and not the other reason you suspect but still easily reaching the rev limit very quickly. On damp grass it was a lot of fun but couldn't do a donut as there just wasn't any grip. So we played at doing J-Turns and reverse turns instead. A lot of fun.

Side stepping isn't an issue to me. I did it at a tarck day when leaving the pit lane and each time I had a little wheel spin but took off like a rocket.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by rahula,Aug 20 2004, 09:57 AM
Side stepping isn't an issue to me. I did it at a tarck day when leaving the pit lane and each time I had a little wheel spin but took off like a rocket.
To be honest Rahul I have never tried it as it scares the crap out of me that it may kill the clutch. What revs to you side step from. If I try it it will be in the damp / wet first so there is minimum transmission damage!
Old 08-20-2004, 02:18 AM

I was worried about the same thing Moff and I on purpose don't do this on the road but on the track day, that's another matter. Rev to about 4-5k and just slip your foot off the clutch. You might get a bit of wheel spin but I had no burning of the clutch and no smell in the cockpit. Give it a go and see. Sometimes if the road is dry and your tyres warm you won't get any wheel spin at all but you will be catapulted into the horizon.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:24 AM

can't see the point in putting the car through unecessary pain by side stepping the clutch. Not only do you run the risk of ing the clutch up you also put loads of strain through the driveshafts and cv joints and for what?

I must be getting old
Old 08-20-2004, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by rahula,Aug 20 2004, 10:18 AM
Sometimes if the road is dry and your tyres warm you won't get any wheel spin at all but you will be catapulted into the horizon.
Perfect for traffic light grandprix's
Old 08-20-2004, 02:47 AM

Zero what do you mean you must be getting old, I thought you already were an OAP! Where have you been Paul and welcome back? A little fun on the track is awesome, especially going sideways....
Old 08-20-2004, 02:55 AM

I've been well down in the dumps recently as been working all hours....also not allowed to post on s2ki so tend to lurk and then make a flurry of posts to try and keep my ppd down
Old 08-20-2004, 02:58 AM

I find doing Donuts in the S takes very little effort ?
No Tyre smoking mega looney action needed at all, In fact my mate thinks its hilarious how clam and slowly the S2000 can do them compaired the almost out of control spins that things like supra's do.

Quick Reply: So much for getting the back out...