UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

SO2 tyre wear....

Old 03-23-2003, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SO2 tyre wear....

I've just done a quick search on this, but couldn't find a satisfactory answer. So....

Just checked the tyre wear on my SO2s after the Heyford track day.

Rears: 3mm at outside (both sides), middle 6mm.
Fronts: 3.5mm outside, middle 6.5

I'm measuring in the groove where the tread wear indicator is. On both fronts and rears, the grooves are around 1mm deeper either side of the groove with the wear indicator. And before you ask, I am measuring to the bottom of the tread and not to the wear indicator.

Questions: Is it normal on SO2s to have this asymmetry in tread depth or is it due to
a) hooligan behaviour at the track or
b) dodgy geometry settings.

The latter seems unlikely as the wear profile is consistent on all four tyres.

Is there any reason for the groove with the wear bar in it to be shallower, apart from making us buy tyres more quickly?!

This is an MY02 car with 3600 miles on the clock and I check my tyre pressures every week, when the car has just been out of the garage so all tyres should be of an even temp. I even bought a new gauge today to double check the presure, but they are correct.

Either way, I'll need some more tyres soon. I doubt I'll get them to 5000 miles if they continue to wear at this rate
Old 03-23-2003, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

~6mm tread is a lot. Not a good idea to go on track with S02's with that much tread, as they'll wear very quickly. (The tread block being tall move about more, causing more heat, which increases wear a lot).

Wearing the shoulders a lot more than the centre is normal. You can help it (but not eliminate it) but running higher tyre pressures on track. What pressures were you running?

BTW if you were being a real hooligan, you wouldn't have 6mm of tread left in the middle of the rears

-Brian.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After Heyford the rear tyres are now down to the wear bars but my guage reads about 3mm at the lowest middle part of the tread, a little less on the edges. Time to get some quotes in!

Interestingly I did most of my tyre damage in a track session when the tyres had done about 1500 miles. I haven't worn the shoulders any more in the following 7500 miles. The rest of the tyre has worn pretty evenly.

After the first track session I expected to be buying tyres pretty quickly but in fact they have lasted quite well. 5 track days in fact.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at my tyres (S02s) after Heyford, the rears are a little scrubbed (from all that sideways stuff and spins) but the majority of severe wear is on the outside shoulder of the offside front tyre where the tread blocks have lost 2 to 3mm leaving a lip on the edge of each block.... and rather similar but to a lesser extent the nearside front.

I put this down to the rather frenetic (clockwise) track session at the end of the day - but perhaps I should have done something about the front tyre pressures although they seemed correct at the time.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bmarshall
[B]
Wearing the shoulders a lot more than the centre is normal. You can help it (but not eliminate it) but running higher tyre pressures on track. What pressures were you running?

BTW if you were being a real
Old 03-24-2003, 03:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by JONeM

I was running standard 32 psi front and rear - what would you recommend for track use?
Doing a search... this has come up quite a few times.

Oh and drive careful now you've little shoulders left on the tyres....

-Brian.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:58 PM

Done a quick search - 34 to 36psi seems to be favourite on the track, so I'll know next time.

Thanks for your advice on this Brian.

Cheers,

Jon.