UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Soft top repairs - North East

Old 03-26-2014, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top repairs - North East

Hi all, does anyone know of anyone in the North East who can carry out minor repairs to soft tops? Google and Bing are totally useless. They seem to think Cheshire, South East London and Aukland are Oop North!

Cheers
Old 03-26-2014, 09:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Post a picture - how 'minor' is it?

I had a 3 x 4 inch cut in mine and I used some Stormsure to repair it - has stood up fine since
Old 03-26-2014, 12:27 PM

I've plugged mine with Stormsure but it looks ugly...yellow and crusty!! I'm in York and I've found a couple of fitters one in Harrogate (waiting on price) on near Leeds...latest price is £800 +vat fitted!
I think I will have to book in to that Swansea chap. It's a shame...I would pay £600 all in for it to be fitted near here.
I did think about paying someone to drive my car down to Swansea get it done and then deliver it back. Finding the time to get it sorted is really difficult and yet it depresses me every time I get in the car. If you find somewhere I'd love to hear about it. All the best!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:33 PM

I used "Bierlowski's" car trimmers in Sheffield, they fixed the usual frayed edges adjacent to the fan shaped mechanism near to the door, the also sorted out the common ones on the top adjacent to the elbow on the soft top frame, they re-enforced another part on the top where it looked like someone had run a blade of some sort over, they even repaired the sagging bolster, and a small leather cut on the drivers seat where the seat belt buckle had rubbed the colour away.
They said they could do the work in a day if it was there early enough, I left my car secure in their workshop overnight, and collected it the following day.
The repair stuff they use is sympathetic to the age of the roof that they are working on, I certainly have no complaints.. Nice People Too..
Old 03-26-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by defiant
I've plugged mine with Stormsure but it looks ugly...yellow and crusty!! I'm in York and I've found a couple of fitters one in Harrogate (waiting on price) on near Leeds...latest price is £800 +vat fitted!
I think I will have to book in to that Swansea chap. It's a shame...I would pay £600 all in for it to be fitted near here.
I did think about paying someone to drive my car down to Swansea get it done and then deliver it back. Finding the time to get it sorted is really difficult and yet it depresses me every time I get in the car. If you find somewhere I'd love to hear about it. All the best!
Why not buy a good quality used one on a frame and fit it yourself, it really isn't that difficult especially if it is already mounted to a frame.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:36 AM

Hi,

when I say minor, it probably ranks as 'nothingness' on the grand scheme of things. It is an elastic strap that is on the base of the hood just behind the drivers seat - they have two 'rivets' that go through to the outside of the hood - one of them has come out. The hood still works fine but don't know how important these straps are and what may happen should the other rivet pop out, just trying to sort it in case anything worse should happen as I am taking the car to the South of France in a few months. Have tried with all my might to push the rivety thing back through the hole to no avail. Took it to a place local to me who do car upholstery repairs and she suggested I take it to a cobblers! God knows how I am going to get my car in their shop!

Will try and get a pic when the thunderstorm we currently have has done off
Old 03-27-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have a read here

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/101...how-to-fix-it/
Old 03-28-2014, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by calisfar
Hi,

it's not that elastic strap that is the issue. I need to try and get a pic when the weather gets less wet and wanky. It is at the base of the roof hidden behind the black strip that runs around the base of the roof. From outside the car, when you press the roof in slightly beside the drivers door - there are 4 rivets in the material, it is one of those that has come out from the roof.