UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Some advice for potential new S2000 owner?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

The car isn't worth as much - it won't be a massive decrease but it will still be a saving each year.

Also worth looking at limited mileage policies if it's not going to be used every day or or won't do more than a few thousand miles a year.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keith2.2,Jan 13 2011, 02:10 PM
Yeah, they're tricky to drive if you don't pay attention, but relying on VSA to keep you out of trouble is cheating
VSA doesn't save you from everything

As others have said I'd go with your dad's car, you know the history
Only down side is the plastic rear screen
Get the bushes checked, make sure it has good tyres and geo
Drive with "consideration" and you will be fine
Old 01-14-2011, 01:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey k,Jan 14 2011, 10:27 AM
Only down side is the plastic rear screen
Already sorted Mikey (I skim read) K
His Dad had new roof fitted with glass rear screen.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RevRanger,Jan 14 2011, 02:36 AM
Already sorted Mikey (I skim read) K
His Dad had new roof fitted with glass rear screen.
As RevRanger says my dad was very persistant with Honda replacing the roof. He told them if they fitted plastic rear screen then they wouldn't be selling the car to him. He got the glass and even got the electrics fully wired in as it should be.

As for tyres it came with full set of Avon ZZ R I'm sure but the rears were changed to Eagle F1 Assymetrics 2 months ago, the fronts will need doing soon but if I buy it from him I'll take care of that.

Just looking more into detail on insurance etc now. Providing we both agree on a price it looks like I'll buy it (I've told him I'll pay top dollar for it since its been so well cared for by him).

I was asking him last night on the engine, he said hes not sure if its full new engine or not as its been so long since he looked so he is finding the details out. He remembers the receipt being £5000 from Honda - does that sound like new engine or a complete rebuild? He was pretty sure it was a brand new unit but best to check.

Also it comes with 17inch alloys already on which is a bonus.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_w50,Jan 14 2011, 10:49 AM
Also it comes with 17inch alloys already on which is a bonus.

Keeps getting better. Get it bought and roll on the summer
Old 01-14-2011, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by hammyS2,Jan 13 2011, 05:58 PM
It's an interesting discussion with regard to hard tops. Some prefer them whilst others like to go topless!!

Even in winter, clear day/night with roof down is just awesome
id love a hard top but i just think i would spend too much time taking it off and putting it on again. like you said, one clear day/night and the roof is down. the heater is soo good it doesn't matter how cold it is outside! :-)

ahhh i cant wait for the summer to come woop

Ross
Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 AM

Slightly controversial response this, but I would go for the MY06 car. As long as it has a documented history and you get the right signals from the owner, things should be ok - these cars are fairly robust. It will also be 6yrs newer, and IMO the facelifted version (MY04+) looks much fresher than the older cars It's also the right time to buy and there are some great winter bargains out there.

Eitherway, you'll be in a S2000, so good times ahead!!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by hammyS2,Jan 13 2011, 05:58 PM
It's an interesting discussion with regard to hard tops. Some prefer them whilst others like to go topless!!
Him indoors insisted we found one with a hardtop. Since the day we got it home (March 2009) the hardtop has sat on a stand in a front room (that's modern art for you ). I've use the car all year round (apart from being unable to get it off the drive on a few snow days) and not felt a need for the hard top.

And you can't wrap up warm and take advantage of putting the top down on those glorious cold, dry winter days with the hard top fitted.

My car's got VSA but I've enjoyed driving her and exploring what S2000s do without ever troubling it (ie keeping within my limits and being aware of what an S2000 can do if driven inappropriately).

PS. Your Dad's car seems a good option as it's a known quantity.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

[QUOTE=mikey_w50,Jan 14 2011, 02:49 AM] As for tyres it came with full set of Avon ZZ R I'm sure but the rears were changed to Eagle F1 Assymetrics 2 months ago, the fronts will need doing soon but if I buy it from him I'll take care of that.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by hmt1,Jan 14 2011, 07:13 AM
Slightly controversial response this, but I would go for the MY06 car. As long as it has a documented history and you get the right signals from the owner, things should be ok - these cars are fairly robust. It will also be 6yrs newer, and IMO the facelifted version (MY04+) looks much fresher than the older cars It's also the right time to buy and there are some great winter bargains out there.

Eitherway, you'll be in a S2000, so good times ahead!!
I guess the downside for that is it will cost more. Which, initially I was willing to do but the more I think about it my dads one has done a good bit of its devalue already and I know it well - know its been well kept and never abused in my dad ownership.

Agreed there are some bargans out there - been looking everywhere at them.

Quick Reply: Some advice for potential new S2000 owner?