UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Southern France Roadtrip

Old 08-13-2002, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a motorail is a good idea, I'm just researching the cost of that...... one way motorail is most ideal.... preferbly on the way back......

TBC
Old 08-13-2002, 03:21 PM
tnt

Originally posted by Isabelle
preferbly on the way back......
Absolutely!!!! We always find that the journey home is the longest and we just want to keep going. Motorrail gets you there but lets you relax as well.

Trisha did mention that the middle of September is when the timetable changes so you need to check the train is going to run when you want it.

Oh!!!.........Before you drive onto the train for Christ's sake remember to put the hood up This is particularly important if you are on the lower level. I remembered about 10 yards from the ramp

I think on the Calais train they drive the car on for you.

The front spats on the car may get in the way of the beams they use to stop the car moving backwards and forward. It doesn't do any damage to them but it's a bit of a shock to see them push the beams under the spats to get them in place.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:54 AM

Tony,

Thats any large factor that we're considering; possible damage to vehicle during road trip. If its necessary, I would even put on the hardtop for the trip. How safe are the average hotels/B&Bs in terms of vehicle security. I know some of my colleagues that have had their vehicle broken into while on the continent. I remember reading on this board that someone had their S keyed while over in France too.

Just hope to put smiles on our faces and miles on my S and on the roadtrip without the unwelcome surprises (vehicle damage etc.)

TBC
Old 08-14-2002, 01:55 AM
tnt

TBC,

I've got to be careful here because I don't want to put you off taking your S2000 because it should be an absolute ball once you get down to the south coast of France.

It was us who ended up with a longish scratch down the side of the car. We don't think it was deliberate since it wasn't deep enough. We suspect someone with a bag squeezed between us and another parked car or pillar.

On the 17 days holiday we didn't worry too much - if we had it would have either spoilt the holiday or we would have taken the Polo which would have defeated the object of having the S. Personally, I think the chance of damage or theft is probably about the same as here in the UK.

Not many hotels/B&Bs have their own parking, particulary in cities/towns, but when deciding on where to stay you can always put having a garage (Parking priv
Old 08-14-2002, 02:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tnt
[B]
I hope you are going to leave room for a couple of cases of wine.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:43 AM
tnt

Originally posted by Isabelle
Are you kidding me??I'll leave the torneau cover behind instead...shhhh...
isabelle
How tall are you?

A strange question to ask but there is a reason.

You are driving through France so hopefully the top is going to be down 80% of the time , so the tonneau cover (or "posing pouch" as Trisha calls it) will be on.

So, the question is what happens when you need to drive with the roof up? Simple, and this is why I asked the question. Fold the cover in two and put it into a large cloth bag (a quilt cover is ideal, however get one with a respectable pattern on it). This then tucks behind the passenger seat which is why the height of the passenger is important.

You can always try this before you leave.

Don't forget to store tools, cleaning kit and first aid in the spare wheel well. This gives you more room in the boot (I might be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here, in which case I apologise).

If the driver's seat can be moved forward, even by a couple of inches, you should find you can get a slim clothes bag down behind it.

Maps etc go under the passenger seat.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:50 PM

I am thinking of spending a few days in northern France in September and this thread has been very useful, especially the link to Michellin which is a superb web site

It's the first time I have come across it and I have got detailed travel itineries, detailed maps of towns and areas, places to go, restaurants to visit.

I can even save about a third of the cost of the trip by dropping in one of the supermarkets on the outskirts of Calais (map from Michellin) and picking up bootful of duty frees.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:28 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I own a place in France and have driven extensively over there.

4-5 days really isn't very long. As others have said, it will take you a day at speed to get down south. That's two days gone, just getting there and back. Using autoroutes all the way will save time but add about
Old 08-21-2002, 02:51 AM
tnt

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gaddafi
[B]Oh yes, beware of mad ancient Renault 5 drivers on a mission.