UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Spot the modification

Old 11-17-2001, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by le car
Wow!
Cool! How did you do this?? Do the headlight washers still work? (Not that I'm using them, but I think it's mandatory in Europe to have them)
Did you just remove the black plastic thingy?
Yes the headlight washers still work as they did before, you have to remove the OEM one piece unit from inside the back of the bumper by removing the inner mud guard (you can then get to the clips that hold it on).
I wanted the smallest headlight washers I could find which had a radius, in order to fit as close to the bumper line as possible, after looking at what seemed like hundreds I picked these, which are BMW 5 series, the rest out there are either huge or have a flat base.
You then have to slightly alter the BMW unit by cutting away a bit of the underside plastic to enable it to seat correctly.
Next you make the opening in the bumper longer by about half an inch, this is to accommodate the longer body of the BMW washer unit. I did this with a series of drill holes on the template I had made then smoothed and finished off the rough edges with a file.
A few minor adjustment and the making of a rubber gasket for each washer unit body and there you have it.
The OEM pipe system remains the same, the only thing you need to change are the way the pipe fixes to the washer unit.
With the OEM ones the rubber pipes are fastened by 4 jubilee type clips around the male end of the washer unit under the bumper (these are on extremely tight and were a real "Bas***d" to get off".
With BMW ones, it is simply a male end that fits in to the rubber pipe to begin with and they just push fit into place into the washer unit body, very similar to a "hosepipe lock system"

Result: something you have to have, but being less obtrusive in my opinion, certainly makes the lines look better.

Why on earth Honda and other manufactures have to put washers on cars that are the sizes of houses I don
Old 11-17-2001, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't think about dispensing with them altogether then Nigel. A bit difficult I suppose with the holes you'd have left.?
Old 11-17-2001, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
You didn't think about dispensing with them altogether then Nigel. A bit difficult I suppose with the holes you'd have left.?
Cedric, I would have loved to have got rid of them, but as you said "it would leave holes" and the filling of them up and repainting the bumper is a far larger job than the modification.
Also if I ever sold it somebody is bound to say " Oh its a grey import, no headlight washers"

Other "mods" on the way
Old 11-17-2001, 09:01 AM

LOL look forward to the mods. I'm just off a to a 'Do' at the I.C.C. With a free bar for the first 2 hours and we're having a taxi so I'm gonna get pretty relaxed tonight.
Old 11-17-2001, 01:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]LOL look forward to the mods. I'm just off a to a 'Do' at the I.C.C. With a free bar for the first
Old 11-17-2001, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY

Nigel, your attention to detail is very impressive indeed. ...........Toot TooT
Have you not done those horns yet? make it your winter project,
(please)
Old 11-17-2001, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by biker1

Have you not done those horns yet? make it your winter project,
(please)
I'll wait until Andy Winskill shames me into doing it.
Old 11-18-2001, 04:30 AM

Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY

I'll wait until Andy Winskill shames me into doing it.
Just how long do you plan on keeping that car Andy??
Old 11-18-2001, 08:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]

Just how long do you plan on keeping that car Andy??