UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sprinting and Hillclimbing an S2000

Old 01-04-2016, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tim S
All you need to do is make a timing strut, add a bit of yellow tape to the battery earth and a sticker by the ignition to say how to turn it off. The road car sprint classes are designed so bog standard cars can compete (as long as you've got MOT & tax).
I should have been more specific Tim, unfortunately I've done plenty to my car but not much of it 'legal' for the class I will be running in. Currently got coilovers with spherical bearing top mounts (which aren't allowed), I'm currently on AD08R tyres which aren't allowed in the championship because you are only allowed to run a 1A tyre in that. Bit if a question mark over my brake pads at the minute as well as I'm not sure whether they are legal or not for the championship. That's just the bare minimum that I need to change, there are other bits and pieces that I wouldn't mind sorting out as well.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lordy what have I done?

Old 01-05-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Exposed a secure http address on a public forum? (only joking )

Looks like a good contingent getting involved in this.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by CynicG
Exposed a secure http address on a public forum? (only joking )

Looks like a good contingent getting involved in this.
Plus I should maybe have been doing actual 'work' at work not applying for a racing licence on the first day back!
Old 01-05-2016, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by mtunreal
Great idea to start a thread Ray. Although we are all mates, its going to be a good laugh and we won't let the urge to win take over (Ricardo, I'm talking to you bud haha). That's kind of the spirit of sprinting, turn up in your daily/prepped car, have a natter and blast around the circuit. Very sociable event with some extremely knowledgeable and talented drivers.
I didn't do anything

Yet
Old 01-05-2016, 04:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexGJ248
Originally Posted by Tim S
All you need to do is make a timing strut, add a bit of yellow tape to the battery earth and a sticker by the ignition to say how to turn it off. The road car sprint classes are designed so bog standard cars can compete (as long as you've got MOT & tax).
I should have been more specific Tim, unfortunately I've done plenty to my car but not much of it 'legal' for the class I will be running in. Currently got coilovers with spherical bearing top mounts (which aren't allowed), I'm currently on AD08R tyres which aren't allowed in the championship because you are only allowed to run a 1A tyre in that. Bit if a question mark over my brake pads at the minute as well as I'm not sure whether they are legal or not for the championship. That's just the bare minimum that I need to change, there are other bits and pieces that I wouldn't mind sorting out as well.
I know plenty of people with spherical top mounts sprinting. It's a bit of a grey area - the Blue Book says "11.7.6. For Road-going Series Production Cars bushes may be changed for similar polymer materials but not to spherical or similar metal joints." It's not clear to me which bushes are in scope here, and whether a top mount is counted as a bush. In any case a scrutineer would never exclude you for spherical top mounts, another competitor could complain to the organisers but in my experience that is rare and only happens when people are really taking the piss (like fully stripped interiors in saloons etc).

AD08R are list 1B. In the South the combination of these and the the coilovers would put you in ordinary Road Going Series Production as opposed to "Standard Road Cars" which some clubs operate (standard apart from wheels & cat back exhaust, only list 1A tyres). What championship are you entering?

Annoyingly I went from R888 in 2014 (now list 1B and perfectly legal for sprinting in Series Production) to AD048R in 2015 (now list 1C and only legal for racing). So I need new tyres for this year.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:15 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We will be competing in the Curborough Sprinting Championship (Redline Synthetic Oil 2016).

They are different only in terms of tyre choice. The production classes are limited to 1A tyres or factory tyre. Limits the tyre choice for the S which is interesting.

With respects the the spherical top mount, I understand the issue. Mcpherson strut suspension would see greater benefit from this change. The pick up point hasn't changed, so that isn't under contention. I think the main issue for the class is changing from a rubber/poly mount to any kind of solid joint. Maybe wrong though.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by earl's_f20c
Lordy what have I done?

I'll be coming to have a gander at these now
Good luck lads!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:09 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

After much thought and persuasion by a good friend (who has just imported a very special D type replica and would like to enter a local hill climb this year in it) I am about to book and join him at the Harewood Academy tuition day.
Any one had any experience on this course?
Old 01-06-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

I should be at one of the curborough practice days with the buggy soon.

Quick Reply: Sprinting and Hillclimbing an S2000