UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Starter cut relay

Old 08-09-2022, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter cut relay

Hoping someone can please help/advise, I have been chasing an issue where the car randomly won't start - fine one minute and then nothing the next. It's not the start button (tested), not the clutch switch (don't have one as I have a '00 without cruise and car always started with clutch up?). There's no noise whatsoever when trying to start the car i.e., doesn't crank, but everything else appears to work, dash lights up, etc.. I was going to test the starter cut relay but annoying broke the casing getting it out so need to get a replacement now anyway. My questions:

1) Is the starter cut relay part # 39794-S04-014 and do I actually need a genuine part or will any 12v 30 4P relay do the job?

2) Any other ideas on start issue? I'm tempted to replace the starter motor (makes the slipping noise very occasionally but thinking more solenoid related?). Any motor suggestions welcomed as can't find a replacement denso!

Many thanks in advance, I'm happy with mechanics but electrical issues...!
Old 08-09-2022, 06:15 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Turn the headlights On with the engine Off and press START. Do the lights dim? Try clutch in and also out.

-- Chuck
Old 08-09-2022, 07:27 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

Any suitable relay should do, it would at least prove the circuit.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar sounding problem and whilst not on an S it may have some bearing. The same problem OK one operation, nothing the next, I found it was a dead commutator segment, only found it by removing the starter and getting it checked by an electrician
Old 08-09-2022, 09:54 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Do u still have the HP alarm fitted ?
Old 08-09-2022, 10:11 AM

Thanks for replies everyone!

Have tested the relay and that was ok so back in the car - I can now hear the relay clicking when pressing start button which I couldn’t before (bit weird!). Can’t find a replacement relay anyway…

Still didn’t start - I’ll try the headlights and see if they dim when it’s dark (too light to see on my own!). Can confirm I have no wiring to the clutch pedal so can prob rule that out.

I have a Toad alarm on the car which I did wonder whether might be an issue but the immobiliser seems to be doing it’s thing?

Looks like starter doesn’t it, now I need to find a decent enough one to fit! There’s a PSH one I’ve found on AUTODOC but no idea how reputable…

Cheers!

edit - just tested and headlights do not dim when pressing start button! Suggests starter not getting power? Battery voltage is ok.

Last edited by will_r; 08-09-2022 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 08-30-2022, 08:12 AM

So just to come back to this - I’ve replaced the starter which wasn’t the most fun job although the real pain is the fact it made no difference whatsoever!

At a complete loss now so think I need to find an auto electrician to see if they can figure it out…

Any suggestions in the meantime would very much be appreciated
Old 08-30-2022, 01:08 PM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Grasping at straws: Tried starting jumpered to another car with a running engine? Click but no starter movement usually indicates a bad battery in my experience. Even with a battery that seems good.

Good luck!

-- Chuck
Old 08-30-2022, 09:53 PM

Thanks Chuck - the car bump started pre starter install (after it wouldn’t start in petrol station!) but I haven’t tried jumping it from another car. The battery was fully charged with the ctek and reading 12.9ish so in theory should be alright but as you suggest batteries can be odd!

I can hear what I guess is the starter solenoid clicking too, maybe the new starter is bad also - really don’t want to take that back out but might have to!

I’ll try and jump it to see what happens so thanks for suggestion!
Old 08-31-2022, 01:25 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

Can you couple the starter direct to power lead on the solenoid effectively by passing it, and get the battery tested using meter that loads it up, can show good volts but no good under load.

Quick Reply: Starter cut relay