UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Steep driveway

Old 06-09-2018, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steep driveway

Hi everyone, long time lurker here.
I've recently moved house and the new property has a really steep driveway, if I Park it on there and apply the handbrake until it's maxed out, the car will still continue to creep down, it's that steep.
What I did yesterday was Park it, hold it in place with the footbrake then apply the handbrake and left it in gear, overnight it was fine and didn't move at all.
My question is basically, is this fine to carry on doing, or over time will it harm the gearbox/transmission etc, is there a better way to park it (reverse on or drive on) or is there a better gear to leave it in such as reverse?
Sorry for the long winded explanation but it's something I've never come across and am a little worried by, hopefully someone on here will have more of an idea than me.
​​​Thanks in advance
Old 06-09-2018, 12:56 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

If the rear is pointing down the hill then use 1st, if the front is pointing downhill, use reverse.

Also, get the handbrake adjusted, it's quite easy to DIY (even I can do it). You can find instructions in the Service Manual (Section 19-7) which can be downloaded from the internet (Google for it).

Also consider a chock of some sort for extra insurance.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:00 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Indeed - your rear brakes need some attention either by adjusting or by refurb /. replacement of rear calipers. Also beware of a handbrake applied to hot discs that then cool.

Chocks are good but properly working calipers are better
Old 06-09-2018, 04:55 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I find mine the same on very steep

Gear will be fine but as pointed out not the one you'd use to go down the drive
Old 06-09-2018, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will get the handbrake adjusted asap! In the meantime, holding the car on the drive in gear won't do any damage to the car will it? Just feels like there is a lot of strain on it to me (I'm no expert at all btw)
Old 06-09-2018, 02:48 PM

Nope, leaving it in gear will do no damage. I always leave my cars in gear as well as with the handbrake on purely out of habit.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Too much experience of park brake actuated discs for me ever not to park a car in gear. Even the Legend's drums failed me the other day, when I had to shift it out of park to re-fit the ashtray...

The French park without the handbrake entirely, so that others may 'enlarge' a parking space without inflicting damage...

A fast start loads the geartrain far more severely than parking forces will.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:06 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I never leave my handbrake on like Nick says... I trust solid metal gears far more than a bit of thin metal wire plus it can seize if left on for a long time and with hot discs just adds to the issues.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always leave my cars in gear as a matter of course wherever I park. You should use a gear correct to the direction that the car could roll to though, not the opposite. If the car rolls you want the engine to be turned forwards/in the direction that it turns when started not backwards. This is especially true with cars that have sprung loaded cam belt tensioners as they don't tension properly if the engine's turned the wrong way.

Taken from a Lotus Elise manual: "For manual transmission vehicles, when parking the car on a slope, take the additional precaution of leaving the transmission in first (facing downhill) or reverse (facing uphill) gear and turn the steering wheel towards the kerb."
Old 06-23-2018, 10:21 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

I never use the handbrake at home, admittedly on the level, I hate that thump of the pads coming unstuck from the discs when you start to move after the car has stood for a day or two, can't do them any good.
And I leave it in gear, but my starting habit is clutch down wiggle the stick and start. Apparently having the clutch down reduces the load on the starter motor and battery by 10%.

Quick Reply: Steep driveway