UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Stereo question

Old 01-29-2003, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo question

Thinking of ways to make the stereo louder.

Get new front speakers & separate tweeters - this would improve quality but volume????? (which speaker setup is best? jbl????)
OR (/And)
Just add an extra amp (smallest possible) - will the stock speakers handle this? Where/Cost can I get these small amps that would fit behind the stereo somwhere (or under pass seat etc.)

Rear speakers will be considered at a later date possibly.

thanks.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:14 AM

What have you got at the moment in terms of stereo and speakers?
Old 01-29-2003, 06:20 AM

Stock system. MY00 - honda HU, multichanger and just two speakers in the doors.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Replace front speakers and add rears. Best way to increase/improve the volume.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:29 AM

Dracoro,

IMHO and using the experience that I had on my car, I kept the standard HU and multichanger, removed the 2 door speakers (which are paper thin and crap) and replaced them with front and rear Kenwoods supplied by Lucid. I'm sure that you could get speakers from nearly anywhere in the UK, but the Lucid ones come with all the right connectors so you simply drop them in. Adding the rear speakers completely changes the sound dynamics within the car and are highly recommended!

Old 01-29-2003, 07:21 AM

Just curious to know where the rear speakers fit. I no longer have an S so I can't check, and I didn't notice any holes for them when I had mine.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:28 AM

Hi Neil,

There are a couple of panels (one behind each seat) which have the net hooks attached to them. These need to be cut to fit the speakers in, or the lucid rear speakers come with a new pre-cut panel with the speakers attached.

I was a bit sceptical at first, as there was very little room for the sound to come out from when the seats were pushed back, but it works, it really does work well.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:55 AM

I'm happy to cut the panels myself.

These 'connectors' that Lucid supplies, are these standard stuff you can get from halfords? costly? I'm happy to buy all the speakers, cables etc. but obviously need to fit them ok. Let motor factors/halfords do this? or do myself (have time ).

BTW, how easy is it to remove the door panels to get at the speakers?
Old 01-29-2003, 09:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Dracoro
I'm happy to cut the panels myself.

These 'connectors' that Lucid supplies, are these standard stuff you can get from halfords? costly? I'm happy to buy all the speakers, cables etc. but obviously need to fit them ok. Let motor factors/halfords do this? or do myself (have time ).

BTW, how easy is it to remove the door panels to get at the speakers?
Cutting the panels is the one thing that I would not do myself. They need to be cut close to the edge and if you get the hole in the wrong place they will not fit when the speakers have been mounted.

I got my panels from Lucid and JBL P42's and P62's from Halfords (special order). Installing them is simple. There are detailed instructions on how to do this, including removing the door panels on Lucid's website.

The Honda head unit is not wired for 2 sets of speakers. The only place I know to get the adaptor harness is, again, from Lucid.

I would estimate that it would take aprox. 2 hours to install fronts and rears for the first time.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:48 AM

I am contemplating fitting my lucid rear panels (bought from Scrooger) myself.

They will be fitted to my Alpine unit which has uprated door speakers and door mounted tweeters.

Is it possible to fit the rear speaker connectors through that little access panel in the passenger footwell or will I have to remove the head unit?

Will there be a spare set of outputs on the head unit?
I presume the door speakers/tweeters are run off one output with a crossover.

I am expecting to have take the head unit out but would be pleased to hear otherwise.

Thanks in anticipation

Rudester

Quick Reply: Stereo question