UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sticky Brakes

Old 08-31-2014, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sticky Brakes

It seems I have the dreaded sticky brake calipers on 3 out of my 4 corners

I know you can get a refurb kit off Bigg Red but is there anywhere else I can try? They seem to be out of stock and to be honest I'd rather just sort it out by exchanging the units as it means the car is off the road for a shorter period of time.

TIA
Old 08-31-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Is it defo the caliper piston causing the stickiness? Slider pins can be a pain in the arse and you need to keep them lubricated and check the rubber boots for cracks.

I replaced all of my calipers when i brought my car two years ago, Nissen calipers are rubbish and i learnt from my previous Hondas that they dont last long.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:11 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Unlucky to have 3 go at the same time, my wifes Jizz had two fail recently (though she wouldn't notice if all four wheels fell off). I've decided to do as Unclefester does, and adopt the japanese system of stripping cleaning and lubeing them every year.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked at the 'Forum Favourites'?
Old 08-31-2014, 02:51 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Floppy
It seems I have the dreaded sticky brake calipers on 3 out of my 4 corners

I know you can get a refurb kit off Bigg Red but is there anywhere else I can try? They seem to be out of stock and to be honest I'd rather just sort it out by exchanging the units as it means the car is off the road for a shorter period of time.

TIA
Dealers have the kits, maybe try Si at Hendy, and loads on Ebay of course. If you are in a real hurry, I have two rears refurbished by Bigg Red. we can do some sort of swapsies if you like?
Old 08-31-2014, 03:13 PM
BCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brakes international refurbs.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:13 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by markforrester99
Is it defo the caliper piston causing the stickiness? Slider pins can be a pain in the arse and you need to keep them lubricated and check the rubber boots for cracks.
I think it's worth checking this - I bet they are dry with split boots
Old 09-01-2014, 12:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only recently had the calipers out and also bled the brakes when I put new pads on both the front and rears and didn't spot any split boots on the slider pins but it could well be the case that they are sticking.

The sticking is intermittent on the front though as sometimes I get a warm wheel and other times its fine. I'm getting quite a pronounced 'grab and release' as the wheels rotate though on some occasions and the last thing I want is for that to happen on a wet road like today.

How do you remove the boot etc to inspect and grease the slider pins? I'm guessing its high temp or CV grease that gets used on them?

LG - I might be interested in sorting some sort of deal out, drop me a PM with your thoughts/price.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:54 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I used Ceratec on my sliders, the boot goes over a lip on the pin so you want to gently lift the lip to break the seal before removing fully. Definitely worth checking before sending the calipers away.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:01 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

You have to unbolt the caliper from the carrier - remove the pin and boot.

Also worth checking that you don't have crud in the carrier where the pads sit as this can cause problems too. Also check that the pads themselves are physically the right length for the carriers, some of the after market ones ( yes i'm looking at YOU Ferrodo ) make their pads just a little t oo long and when they heat up, they stick in the carriers - not cool .... literally.

Quick Reply: Sticky Brakes