UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

In the summertime when the weather is fine...

Old 04-29-2005, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the summertime when the weather is fine...

Ive had my car just over a year now, and I didnt actually set out to buy a convertible, that just seemed a bonus to me.
But driving with the roof down is a bit odd, particularly when you pull up at a set of lights singing along to the music. Its ok I guess when the local gangstas nod in acknowledgement and the hipness of say Tiger Feet by Mud, but I suppose its possible some people might play the odd embarassing tune now and again, and if youre tone deaf like me then youre in for some way funny looks.
Also has anyone else found driving with the roof down makes you less - inside some anonymous protective shell, and therefore a more friendly driver - or is that just me enjoying the sun and being generally smilier. Not that I dont floor it with a smile, but even when sat in traffic.
Yesterday a small child waved at me, I think because I seemed like a person more than a car :-) which is obviously quite unusual for me.
Maybe if everyone had convertibles there would be less road rage ??

I like it anyway and its a wonderful bonus

Thoughts anyone ?
Old 04-29-2005, 06:12 AM

A very good point. It makes you more approachable because people can actually see your face.

I have to make a conscious effort not to play the wrong type of music if I have the roof down.
For instance , could you imagine driving around with Barry Manilow blaring out at full blast.
Ahem.... Not that I would anyway of course.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Fletch,Apr 29 2005, 06:12 AM
A very good point. It makes you more approachable because people can actually see your face.

I have to make a conscious effort not to play the wrong type of music if I have the roof down.
For instance , could you imagine driving around with Barry Manilow blaring out at full blast.
Ahem.... Not that I would anyway of course.
I often listen to rap and reggae whilst driving. However with the roof down I just feel everyone will think I'm some middle class gansta wanna. I usually have my stereo on loud but I feel such a tit when stopped or slow moving with it too loud. Luckily my stereo has ASL (auto sensing level) so it turns itself down when I stop at lights/roundabouts.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:23 AM

a bit off subject - but if you are in Leeds

- why not come on a meet?

we had a good laugh at the Yorkshire feed meet - and there is the Lincoln meet on Sunday

oh - and when Fletch has his roof down - he wears a massive baseball cap - so that he doesnt frighten the children!
Old 04-29-2005, 06:34 AM

Thank you, can't make this Sunday Im afraid but yes Ive been toying with a meet for a little while - Ill make space in my diary for the next one. Then you can listen to my whole collection of Mud songs joy o joy!
Old 04-29-2005, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by trebor,Apr 29 2005, 03:23 PM
oh - and when Fletch has his roof down - he wears a massive baseball cap - so that he doesnt frighten the children!
I find that it's safer that way.

Or I often like to wear this little number.

That's me driving by the way.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:00 AM

...Hmm quite reminiscent or something in Star Wars episode 1. And on your pic it looks like youre sat in Captain Kirks chair. Im detecting a theme here...
Old 04-29-2005, 07:07 AM

Ah yes, I did that. Happily singing along to something at the top of my voice with the roof down, completely forgot that people can actually hear you when you've got the roof down. Rather embarrassing.

Yeah, I reckon it does make you more approachable. Best one was when I was stuck at some lights in Streatham and a bus driver leans out his window and says 'don't suppose we could swop?'
Old 04-29-2005, 07:07 AM

That is indeed me in Picard's chair at the Star Trek Experience.
And yes, I am a complete SciFi Geek.

The hat's the Oakley Medusa though.
I am also a complete tart for Oakley "stuff".
Old 04-29-2005, 07:18 AM

What was it you were singing though Kate ?

Nice to know they have some ungrumpy bus drivers too :-)

Quick Reply: In the summertime when the weather is fine...