UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Supercharger Clutch?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supercharger Clutch?

Iv just put a TTS Supercharger on my S(which the quality and fitting/finish and after sales are a credit to the company)I think that a new uprated clutch may be the next thing it needs.I did try to avoid fitting one as my car has only done 4500 miles,so was hoping to get away without one.My question is how do I find a clutch which will cope with the power but not lose its driveability in traffic ect?.
Do I go for a flywheel/clutch,or can I get away with just the friction plate on its own?What sort of price will I pay,and also,although I could fit it myself Im fedup with working on the car at the moment.If I can make the standard unit last for the summer I may fit it over next winter myself.Is it realistic to fit it on axle stands?... Thanks in advance
Old 04-11-2011, 11:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

ACT (Street) clutch with the OEM flywheel is the closest you will get to OEM feel but will be able to handle the extra power.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had competition clutch and changed because it vibrated, changed to act it felt better easier to drive but still vibrated
I'm not sure why but some cars don't respond well to upgraded clutches others get no problems
I had the first CC clutch installed across the road from TTS and it was so bad CC paid to have a new one fitted by Honda Northampton, a little better but not what I wanted, after 6 month I got hold of an Act clutch and had Garage R fit it so at least two of the installations were done properly, also when the CC clutch came out it was almost down to the rivets and that's on less than 2000 miles and I don't ride the clutch or launch it, stick to OEM until it starts letting go
Old 04-12-2011, 09:04 AM

Hi you dont mention a problem with the existing clutch.
If I were you I would spend the oem before thinking about a uprated one. Maybe it will last longer than you expect?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oxhouser I think I remember your post on your clutch,Serg I havent got a problem yet but Im having it mapped tomorrow,and with the luck Iv had this winter Im expecting the worst.eSeM thanks for that and thanks for trusting me with payment for the POR 15
Old 04-13-2011, 03:07 AM

What power at the wheels is yours? Mine peaks at 320. My OEM had 40K on it when installed. It didn't slip on the dyno and has got me through a couple of days at the ring, a track day at Spa and 5K road miles. The bite is quite high now though, and if too enthusiastic you can get slip at gear change, but thats just me and the delay valve, not the clutches fault...
Old 04-13-2011, 03:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had just under 340 at the wheels an my OEM clutch couldn't handle it. The lower gearing on my car may have contributed to this.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:16 AM

I'm still running a stock clutch when it goes then I will consider a replacement. I think ESEM is correct in thinking his gearing had more to do with his clutch issues, I am running slightly more power than him with no issues.......yet!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No problem with my old stock clutch, however I'm only running around 300WHP.

IIRC the stock clutch is rated to 170 ft/lb at the wheel.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:45 AM

I have a chart from TTS which shows peak torque of 287 ft/lbs at 8850 rpm (and 484 DJHP). Now I take these charts with a pinch of salt but we swapped the OEM clutch for a Competition stage 2 and so far so good.

However, if it only lasts 2k miles I will be testing the aftersales service!

How was your mapping?

Quick Reply: Supercharger Clutch?