UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Supercharger Flutter

Old 01-09-2017, 06:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Seems a good time to get something that vents to atmosphere.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:15 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by har-vey
This is exactly what i'm talking about. Would a atmospheric dump valve be any better?

I seem to remember when i spoke to Si about getting one for the kit he told me HKS don't recommend fitting the SSQV........(unless i'm remembering that incorrect, Si please correct me if i'm wrong)
Atmospheric valves are really noisy even when just cruising. I have a dual port turbosmart so i can switch between recirc and vent to atmosphere and i really didn't enjoy the noise of the charger venting directly to atmosphere. It sounds like you've got a huge boost leak. If you dismantle the HKS bypass valve you can see there isn't much room for the air to flow around the valve. With the turbosmart when its open there is the potential to flow lots of air.

The issue is less down to choice of vent to atmosphere or recirc but more down to size of bypass valve and whether it can flow enough air when required.

There are lots of posts about the SOS style kits having issues with undersized bypass valves and people opting to weld in new flanges etc. The problem with the HKS kit is that you would have to get some work done to get a different valve to fit or replace the pipework completely like i have done.

Last edited by markforrester99; 01-09-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
Or
a vac leak that opens the value
Or
a bad spring or diaphragm in the BOV
Or
too much boost for the chosen BOV
It would seem at least three of us from the HKS group buy have the same symptoms. Would this hint that there could be an issue with the valves in a manufacturing batch?
Old 01-09-2017, 06:26 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I dont get flutter, I generated about 12psi if i remember correctly from the rollers. What are other people getting?
Old 01-09-2017, 06:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Not taken mine out in a while. Will take you out in mine Mr Harvey and see if its got the same symptoms.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:43 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr-T
Not taken mine out in a while. Will take you out in mine Mr Harvey and see if its got the same symptoms.
sounds like a plan. I thought you said to me that you did get the same noise. You about tonight?
Old 01-09-2017, 06:47 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by markforrester99
Atmospheric valves are really noisy even when just cruising.
I can attest to that! My TTS came with an atmospheric BOV and I've been considering swapping it out for a recirc due to the noise. For info, that one only chatters/flutters when really gunning it (above 6krpm at full throttle, then closing the throttle). The rest of the time it just hisses.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:48 AM
UK Trader

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by johnckeen
Si can you have a word with HKS as to whether flutter is correct on these kits and it seems to be different for some people which to me means something is either wrong or broken?
Sorry guys - been a busy monday on internet land.

I have spoken to HKS - they are having a read of this thread and going to speak to me soon!

Originally Posted by har-vey
This is exactly what i'm talking about. Would a atmospheric dump valve be any better?

I seem to remember when i spoke to Si about getting one for the kit he told me HKS don't recommend fitting the SSQV........(unless i'm remembering that incorrect, Si please correct me if i'm wrong)
​​​​​​​
That's correct - they confirmed they do not need a SSQV - the type of recirculative kit that comes with the charger is fine and fitting a universal SSQV is more detrimental to the performance of the setup.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:11 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I dont get flutter what so ever even changing at redline, only a hiss...
Old 01-09-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by johnckeen
I dont get flutter what so ever even changing at redline, only a hiss...
What if you floor it up to redline then fully release the throttle (whilst still in gear)?

Quick Reply: Supercharger Flutter